Talk

Advanced search

How to deal with unwanted "advice"

(6 Posts)
whatalongday Thu 10-Sep-09 16:42:05

Hello

I know this is as old as the hills but going on holiday on sat with DH's family (I know but hoping will be good). His 2 sisters and husbands are just fine - it is his mom and dad. I just get too much of "why are you doing that" and other such comments that make it obvious that they disagree with how I do things. It really gets my back up. Also I am concerned that DH's dad in particular will deliberately do things against how I want to do them e.g. I am teaching 20mo to walk on the pavement and not on the road (we have really quiet streets where we are so I feel I can practise with her).

What do people do when PIL's deliberately go against something that is really important?

I am fed up of him saying and making me feel like sh&t and some sort of deranged woman.

ssd Thu 10-Sep-09 16:45:07

sorry no advice, I couldn't go on hols with the in laws if you paid me

(why are you going with them?)

Wigglesworth Thu 10-Sep-09 16:47:53

Is your DH of the same opinion as you? Maybe he could tell them to butt out if they start to question your parenting methods.

Tee2072 Thu 10-Sep-09 16:55:28

'Thanks for your opinion' cheesy smile 'but I prefer to do it this way' cheesy smile.

And ignore ignore ignore.

purpledreamer Thu 10-Sep-09 17:02:11

Easy tell them to sod off....

Pyrocanthus Thu 10-Sep-09 17:21:59

Is FIL planning to teach your toddler to walk down the middle of the road? shock

A familiar scenario (not the road bit). You can either risk family meltdown and say what you thnk, or you try and blithely ignore them. Don't let it affect the way you feel about yourself, it's just a generational conflict - their ways worked for them. Rude though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now