Talk

Advanced search

How to break bad news (nanny leaving) to a 5-year-old?

(4 Posts)
choucroutegarnie Wed 09-Sep-09 12:32:54

Our DS has had the same nanny since birth, and now that he's nearly turning five, and starting reception, we are parting ways.

We (our nanny and I) are breaking the news to him tonight, and I expect him to be really upset.

Our chosen line is: "you are a really big boy now and big boys don't have nannies, but H will always be your friend, she'll still come and play etc".

Anyone has been there and has any advice?

GrimmaTheNome Wed 09-Sep-09 12:41:17

We had the same nanny from 6 months till DD started school. TBH it wasn't really an issue - it wasn't a matter of 'breaking it' to her, it was just a natural transition because she was now big enough for school.

Try not to present it as being in any way sad! Our nanny truly has remained DD's friend - always brings something for her b'day/xmas, sends her postcards and letters (DD is 10, and they still refer to her old imaginary friends grin). Nanny came to help on DDs last birthday. Hopefully, if yours is local, she will do likewise.

Perhaps you could arrange doing something special with your nanny a couple of weeks after she's left you - come to tea at least.

bigchris Wed 09-Sep-09 12:56:26

havent you been telling him all summer 'when your a big boy and go to school you wont need a nanny anymore'
seems a bit mean not to prepare him and just spring it on him
or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

choucroutegarnie Wed 09-Sep-09 13:11:52

Thanks Grimma, you've hit the nail on the head. It's us who think it is sad! Will v much keep that in mind.

As for telling him all summer that he was going to see his nanny go, no, we did not go for that option. Instead, we thought we'd tell him a few weeks before it actually happens (she's leaving at the end of September).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now