Talk

Advanced search

Another school year gets off to a shaky start...

(11 Posts)
daphnebubbles Tue 08-Sep-09 23:21:11

My 7 year old son mentioned to me, almost by mistake this evening, that he and a couple of other boys in his class were taken aside today by a 'mentor' to be told that this year 'is a new start' and that there is a special school where boys who slap other children go if they get excluded.
My son is a bit naughty but no-one has ever told me that he is assaulting other children, and it's really the kind of school where they LOVE to point out what's wrong with your child.
My son always misbehaves at the beginning of each school year - I think it's a nervous thing, but once he settles in, he's generally pretty good.
He is popular with other children and even with other parents so I'm completely stumped by why he's been included in the group.
My husband is gagging to go in there and complain or at least ask what the hell is going on but are we just being those kind of deluded parents who can't see their own child is a horror?

labyrinthine Wed 09-Sep-09 00:24:01

very odd thing to say to a child ~ at 7 !
My ds is 7 just in yr 3 cannot imagine that scenario at all.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 09-Sep-09 08:04:45

Extraordinary. I would want to know why this had been said. Currently, we are in a dilemma about dd. She is a thinigan who doesn't really stand up for herself, it seems she was punched in the belly twice yesterday. She said it wasn't hard enough to hurt but I was furious. I was all for phoning the school but dh told her to knee them in the knackers if it happens again.
I'n not sure if this is a 'craze' (last term it was grabbing someones chin and shouting mooooooooey) or if something else is going on.
Definitely investigate.

Quattrocento Wed 09-Sep-09 08:10:03

What is your DH gagging to complain about?

daphnebubbles Wed 09-Sep-09 08:25:30

I suppose that 5 of them were taken into a room and told in graphic detail about a special school for really naughty children - and that we have never been told that he is that naughty. There have been a few minor incidents and he was sent to the head teacher once but other boys have been sent to her more often.
The school has a habit of telling you there is a problem some time after they've made some decision rather than including you in the decision or even telling you so that you can try to talk to your child (or threaten/bribe!) them...
Good point about a craze though as he is quite easily led - I hadn't really thought of that!

daphnebubbles Wed 09-Sep-09 08:27:24

Don't get me wrong though - I'm not one of those parents who thinks their own children are angels and it's the system that's got it all wrong. I know they can all be naughty and quite different to the character they are at home or when you are around...

daphnebubbles Wed 09-Sep-09 09:28:36

What I would say, kreecherlivesupstairs is DO go in there and say something - if there is something developing it's better to point it out now...

hettie Wed 09-Sep-09 13:53:25

ummme could it possibly be that your sons interpretation of the talking too is a bit (how should I say this) well not quite accurate? It does sound a little bit unusual for a trained teacher to talk "in graphic detail" about a "special school". Might it be how the boys all interpreted it when talking about it afterwards ( "yeah and I heard there is a special school that you can get sent to..."). You could go in with a positive aproach... I understand you have concerns about my son hitting other children- how can we help/deal with it together...Even if it's 'exuberance'or 'nerves' hitting other children is enver acceptable and has to be nipped in the bud.

daphnebubbles Wed 09-Sep-09 16:45:53

yes, you're right, he could well have exaggerated the whole thing. He has never hit another child but has been told off for 'shouting out' and talking too much. The person who told them about the special school is a ta or 'mentor', not a teacher.

daphnebubbles Wed 09-Sep-09 16:47:55

yes, you're right, he could well have exaggerated the whole thing. He has never hit another child but has been told off for 'shouting out' and talking too much. The person who told them about the special school is a ta or 'mentor', not a teacher.

daphnebubbles Wed 09-Sep-09 16:48:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now