Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS settles on sofa but not in cot...?!

(4 Posts)
boundarybabe Sat 05-Sep-09 12:31:08

DS (6 months) has been fighting sleep for a couple of weeks now. He gets very fussy when I put him down for a nap or at bedtime, whinges and sort of writhes around in his cot IYKWIM. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether I am there or not. Have tried shushing, head stroking etc. and it sometimes work but not always. Anyway the last few days I have been lax and just bunged him on the sofa next to me at nap time. I just lay him along it with the vee cushion next to him to create a bit of an obstacle so he doesn't roll off. He goes straight to sleep every time! I don't think the sofa is particularly comfortable and he has virtually no room but he seems to much prefer it.

TBH I don't mind if he just wants to nap on the sofa but he tends to sleep better in the cot once he's actually dropped off because the bedroom's quieter and of course it's safer if I need to get up and do something.

He usually sleeps on his front in the cot and I'm wondering if he actually prefers being on his back and only sleeps on his front because rolling over has turned into a sort of refelx as soon as he's put down? Perhaps I should roll up a couple of blankets to wedge him in the cot like I did when he was tiny?

drinkyourmilk Sat 05-Sep-09 12:35:18

could he also be wanting a more confined space? wondering if he was swaddled and for how long? Rolled up towels sound good to me

drinkyourmilk Sat 05-Sep-09 12:36:28

humm - also, does he wear a grow-bag or similar? That helps with feeling 'hemmed in'

boundarybabe Sat 05-Sep-09 12:45:46

He wears a grobag at night but I just use blankets in the day. He was swaddled for about the first 3 months. There has been a gap of a few weeks between him stopping being swaddled and this problem arising though. I might try the rolled up towels. He seems to like snuggling into the back of the sofa and I guess you can't really do that in a cot!

He has been waking in the night but settles if we put him in bed with us. Perhaps that's more of a 'confined space' thing rather than a 'being next to mum and dad' thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now