Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what tog duvet for 3 year old...

(3 Posts)
stayingcalm Fri 04-Sep-09 09:12:40

hi there,

my 3 yr old is currently using a 4.5 tog duvet not sure if it's still warm enough for him, wondering what tog people use for the autumn winter? his room is not the warmest in the house with single glazed sash window. could put a blanket on top but rather one duvet....

thanks

timmette Fri 04-Sep-09 09:32:29

This is the advice from John Lewis , "When choosing a full-sized duvet for a child, unless their bedroom is very cold, it's best to stick with a lighter weight duvet between 4.5 and 9 tog. As children are smaller it means that their duvet traps more air and increases the level of warmth over and above that experienced by most adults. A heavier 13.5 tog duvet may well prove uncomfortable, and is not recommended."

I got my 3 year old a 4.5 tog and he has a quilt that he can pull up if it is colder, we are also single glazed but with pj's and socks even in winter he is really nice and warm with his quilt and duvet.

Seona1973 Fri 04-Sep-09 10:40:15

it also depends what sort of bed he is in as a cot bed would require a lower tog than a single bed. (dd and ds each have a 4.5tog duvet at the moment but will move to a 10.5 tog one when it gets colder). This is what the bump to 3 website says:

Do not exceed the maximum recommended tog duvet, which is 4 tog for children in cots or cot beds and 10 tog for children in single beds

Because the size of the cot bed is smaller it automatically retains more heat when the child is sleeping, however, the larger surface area in a single bed means the child only heats the area he/she is sleeping in, therefore, a higher tog rating is required on the single bed size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now