Talk

Advanced search

When is too old to take toy to bed

(44 Posts)
sqinny Thu 03-Sep-09 22:17:08

Because I am not sure if my 8 year old should still be doing this but he is
He still has a thing for stuffed toys as well wanting to buy them with his pocket money.
Please is he too old or do other 8 year olds do this as well.
He is certainly tough enough otherwise and is a typical boy so should I worry or not.

hf128219 Thu 03-Sep-09 22:18:12

About 80? smile

Littlefish Thu 03-Sep-09 22:19:30

I still have one! Dd and I share it.

FritesMenthe Thu 03-Sep-09 22:19:40

DS1, turning 8 soon, took no notice of soft toys until recently when he turned his bed into an 'animal sanctuary'. He acn hardly squeeze himself in. I wouldn't worry.

2shoes Thu 03-Sep-09 22:20:51

no he isn't
I knew a child who still had a teddy well into her teens, she decided to give it up in the end.
he is only 8 that is soooooo young

owlandpussycat Thu 03-Sep-09 22:20:57

My 7yr old ds still does, and in fact it joined us for dinner tonight too. I know that he can go without it if we forgot it one night, so am not worried. It'll be forgotten eventually- the passing of an era! Although my 15 yr old nephew still takes his to bed every night- even when he stays here- not to sure about that!

mazzystartled Thu 03-Sep-09 22:21:46

never

what could there possibly be to worry about?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 03-Sep-09 22:21:58

Good lord no. My 12 year old had seven friends for a sleepover during the holidays and they all brought their cuddly toys.
Why would you worry about something so normal?

MsHighwater Thu 03-Sep-09 22:24:36

Just how "tough" do you want an 8 year old boy to be?

FritesMenthe Thu 03-Sep-09 22:25:15

Cuddly toy is on camping kit list for Cubs.

sqinny Thu 03-Sep-09 22:26:35

Oh dear I didn,t mean to look daft just wasn,t sure if other 8 year olds had grown out of this.

plonker Thu 03-Sep-09 22:26:43

I mean this in the nicest possible way but you really need to find other things to worry about ...

8 is very very young, and even if he was 80, what harm is it doing?

Melody4 Thu 03-Sep-09 22:26:57

My 9 yr old does. I think boys should be encouraged to be caring and loving at all ages and having cuddly toys is one way of doing this, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Lonicera Thu 03-Sep-09 22:27:07

How sad that you feel that eight is too old sad

weegiemum Thu 03-Sep-09 22:27:30

Never too old.

When dh is working I take my Panda to bed - and I'm 38!

DontCallMeBaby Thu 03-Sep-09 22:27:56

My teddy slept with me until I moved in with DH aged 25. He went on trips with me, only to be adopted and LOST by DD 2.5 years ago. She said 'I think he is out there, walking in the rain, and he is lost' and I burst into tears.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being attached to a cuddly toy at any age. Ahem.

Meglet Thu 03-Sep-09 22:29:50

I'm 35 and I still have my favourite toy in my bed. He's small though and usually squashed behind a pillow.

sqinny Thu 03-Sep-09 22:30:33

I do think its nice and am pleased to hear its a common thing at this age.

luckylady74 Thu 03-Sep-09 22:30:44

Even if other 8yr olds had 'grown out' of this why would that be a problem? My 7rold plays 'babies' with his 4yr old sister-dollies,pushchairs and so on- if that helps .

MollieO Thu 03-Sep-09 22:32:27

Baby how awful. If my ds did that to Teddy Edward I'd seriously think about putting him up for adoption (ds not TE)wink. TE has been part of my life since I was born and was given to me by my brother (probably not willingly). He (TE) is 49 and older than me. I take him everywhere (including business trips). grin

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Thu 03-Sep-09 22:40:56

I had two teddy bears given to me when I was born-Pinky and Cuddles.

When I moved out of home at age 17 they were the first things packed. Unfortunately I left my stuff with my boyfriend till I found somewhere big enough to house it all and then we broke up.

He gave ALL my stuff (he said- I think he threw it in the rubbish) to the charity shop. Including Cuddles and Pinky.

Never quite got over it. He is Number One on my hit list.

ChookKeeper Thu 03-Sep-09 22:41:22

DD2 has a teddy that she's had since she was 10 months old. It is the mankyest (sp?) thing on earth but she loves it so much that it's with her pretty much all the time at home.

I had my teddy until DD1 was born and by then he was just arms, legs, body and head (not attached to each other and beyone all hope of repair) in a bag in the spare room that we were turning into the nursery. He even came on honeymoon with us wink

piscesmoon Thu 03-Sep-09 22:42:06

You are never too old. If they go away with the school in yr 6 they will most likely be asked to take a favourite teddy-and they all will! Don't worry.

MrsSantoslovestheBBC Thu 03-Sep-09 22:43:44

Never too old - I can't remember when I last took my teddy to bed but it will have been after breaking up with some tosser boyfriend in my single days so up to my early thirties blush. Life's tough enough, so what if he needs an extra bit of comfort at night? I bet he's fine.

Katisha Thu 03-Sep-09 22:43:47

My 9 year old football-playing, karate-learning DS can't sleep without his teddy. And he is quite keen on soft toys in general.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now