Talk

Advanced search

BUNK BEDS for DS 4yrs old and DD 2 yrs old - are we mad?

(10 Posts)
Misspaella Thu 03-Sep-09 21:30:45

We have no choice on this matter. We live in a small 2 bed and just had DS2 (3rd DC in total) 8 weeks ago and we need the cot from DD for him.

Are we mad to even think about bunk beds?

Can anyone recommend any good safe (and cheap) ones? And reassure me it will be safe to use for our DC's who are young? We need the space desperately.

Advice needed.
Thanks

herbietea Thu 03-Sep-09 21:34:55

Message withdrawn

morocco Thu 03-Sep-09 21:37:22

we used bunk beds from around that age for ds1 and ds2. it was fine.dd1 also likes climbing up onto the top bed to play - she's 2 - but she has to shout to be let back down again.

sweetkitty Thu 03-Sep-09 21:37:27

Mine went into bunks when they were 4 and 3 and no problems so far, we got the shortest ones we could find that were standard size IYSWIM, we got the Amy ones from Argos fairly cheap and seem to be good quality, they are also not that high off the ground, we just warned them that there was to be no messing around on the top bunk, the bottom bunk is low to the floor too.

What about the shortie bunks if you are short of space, Argos do them as well and they are even lower than the standard ones.

I do know someone who bought one of those Ikea misleepers and put a mattress underneath on the floor, safe but I don't like the thought of a child sleeping on a mattress

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 03-Sep-09 21:40:51

You could try getting a bed with a matress on a trundle underneath

Or a bunk bed with a trundle as well

If you went for the second option the kids could sleep on the bottom bunk and the trundle for a couple of years - then progress to the bottom and top bunk when they are a bit older (third mattress very useful for guests)

morocco Thu 03-Sep-09 21:45:36

if you're worried, you could easily get away with them sharing one bed for a while til a bit bigger - so long as one isn't a wriggler! mine love snuggling up together anyway

madwomanintheattic Thu 03-Sep-09 21:45:53

we found bunks with a removable ladder the safest for little people (during the day lol - until the youngest had mastered the up/ down or was sensible enough not to try it...)
don't forget in 12 mos you will also have a crawler, then toddler, who is going to watch the older siblings and give it a go when you aren't looking as well... grin
removable ladders are the best lol grin

Misspaella Thu 03-Sep-09 21:49:43

Totally forgot to check Argos...we have been checking out the Ikea ones.

Thanx
smile

MuddlingThru Thu 03-Sep-09 22:00:56

We had a bunk bed in DD's room (left behind by previous tenants but we kept it as figured it might be useful one day) - she was in a cot so couldn't get to it. We had the ladder tucked away underneath it. Her older DS was about 3 when he started climbing into the top bunk - without the ladder!! At that point I figured it was safer to get the ladder out. Since coming out of her cot DD has tried climbing it just the once, slipped and been suitably wary of it ever since. So despite the fact that she is now nearly the same age as her big brother was when he could climb in without the ladder, she has never done it even with a ladder.
Like nearly everything in parenting it depends on your kids.

Karam Thu 03-Sep-09 22:49:06

My DDs went in bunk beds at that age. We got the Amy bunk beds from Argos (they are lower than a lot of bunks, so suitable from 4+), with the trundle underneath. DD1 went on the top bunk from 4 yrs, and DD2 was just 13 months. I have never had a problem with them, although we do pull the trundle out every night, just in case grin. I was also very strict about not letting DD2 play on the top trunk until recently (she is now nearly 3), and they most certainly are not allowed to bounce on the beds. Our girls share through choice, they could have separate rooms, but have chosen not to, it works for us.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now