Talk

Advanced search

Trying out some UCP techniques but also wondering if I am making rod for own back!

(13 Posts)
fifitot Thu 03-Sep-09 12:41:25

DD is a challenge. Mornings are a nightmare as trying to get her upstairs after breakfast for toilet and teeth is a battle. Especially when trying to get her to nursery on time and me to work.

So....have just decided to keep a potty downstairs and another toothbrush and paste in the kitchen and do it all downstairs rather than insist on her going upstairs.

Is this a bad idea? Certainly speeds things up but DH says I am too soft and she should go upstairs like everyone else!

BitOfFun Thu 03-Sep-09 12:43:47

Well, I wouldn't do it, but if it makes you feel better not to fight in the morning it will be good from that point of view.

I see it as pandering myself, but I am an old hag grin

sorky Thu 03-Sep-09 12:51:18

Choose your battles.

Look at the reasons why you want her to go upstairs, are you creating rules for rules sake?

What is the reason she gives for not wanting to go upstairs?

You're going to get the old rod forback comments when you take UP approach, but that's their problem not yours.

fifitot Thu 03-Sep-09 16:48:40

Thanks. Any other views?

FaintlyMacabre Thu 03-Sep-09 17:03:43

Sounds reasonable to me. I have a spare toothbrush and paste for DS and me in our downstairs loo. We use them if I just can't face going upstairs again before going out. Thought it was just a time-saving idea, not a type of parenting. And definitely not a rod for own back- that would be a pointless insistence on going upstairs!

juuule Thu 03-Sep-09 17:06:56

Why would it be a rod for your own back? It's just making life a bit easier imo. Why fight over something like that? It can change as she gets older.

Supercherry Thu 03-Sep-09 17:13:28

You've achieved your objective, saved a bit of time and everyone is happy. Result!

fifitot Thu 03-Sep-09 17:33:51

Thankyou! I should trust my instincts more. I tend to over analyse.

TheChewyToffeeMum Thu 03-Sep-09 17:43:41

I did exactly the same thing for the same reasons. never occurred to me it was making a rod... Just seemed like simple solution to make mornings run smoother.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Thu 03-Sep-09 17:50:23

anything that speeds up mornings without fights is ok in my book.

i think its good sometimes to look at our "rules" and see if there is a strong valid reason for them or if its just habit/what our parents did/what other people do. Toddlers are inbuilt questioners and i think they are sometimes right!

Doozle Thu 03-Sep-09 17:54:04

I don't really do UCP but this makes total sense to me. Anything that gets you out of the house quickly and with little fuss is a massive help when it comes to toddlers.

SusieDerkins Thu 03-Sep-09 17:57:10

We have a set of toothbrushes/toothpaste for all of us in the downstairs bathroom. It wouldn't occur to me that there would be anything wrong with brushing teeth downstairs before we go out. smile

roseability Thu 03-Sep-09 21:07:57

I sometimes get my son dressed downstairs as I used to have the usual morning battles and then I read UCP and questioned my rules. He gets engrossed in his cars/toys in the morning and doesn't want to go upstairs and interupt his play. So one morning after reading the book I asked if he would like to get dressed downstairs instead. It has saved a lot of battles! I also feel that he still realises he needs to get dressed for playgroup so it does no harm.

Until he decides he wants to go to playgroup in his pyjamas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now