Talk

Advanced search

Am i overfeeding?

(15 Posts)
carrie1985 Thu 03-Sep-09 03:59:30

HELP!!!!

my mum's driving me insane, she is insisting i overfeeding 9 month DS. he gets a 8oz bottle in the morning then porridge an hour later, 2 little yougurts in afternoon with some jucie and biscotti, for dinner he gets pot of dinner (age appropriate) with more juice, piece of fruit, and dessert. before bed another bottle of milk. She's told my dad now and he's on my case.. Am i overfeeding him? He is a very big boy, he weighed 24lb last month. He hasn't started crawling yet or bum shuffling and has just figured out how to roll over, she thinks i'm overfeeding him and thats why he can't do these things.Is she right?.. Brutal honesty required

There Thu 03-Sep-09 04:39:20

My father was telling me DD1 was overweight from 5 months old (exclusively breastfed, 5 feeds a day - no night feeds).

I'm no doctor, but I don't think you can overfeed a 9-month old - just be happy he enjoys his food. What you're giving him seems pretty normal to me.

pasturesnew Thu 03-Sep-09 05:07:49

No harm in cutting out the biscotti and dessert as these aren't really nutritionally valuable, you might also consider cutting down on the fruit juice as this is pretty sugary. Wouldn't worry about his weight though as it's normal for babies to be a bit chubbier just before they start crawling and then they seem to have a growth spurt at the same time they start moving.

TanteRose Thu 03-Sep-09 05:09:52

Actually I think you CAN overfeed a 9 month old (if they are not exclusively breastfed) - but I don't think the OP has much to worry about yet..
However, I would say, ditch the juice (empty calories) and the dessert (unnecessary).
Consult your GP and when he tells you that everything is fine, you can use this as ammunition against your Mum "Well, the doctor thinks he's fine" wink
Once he starts crawling/walking, he will slim down fast...smile

TanteRose Thu 03-Sep-09 05:10:48

oops, cross post pasturesnew grin

pasturesnew Thu 03-Sep-09 05:15:22

Think we are the only people awake ATM TanteRose!

TanteRose Thu 03-Sep-09 05:24:20

no, I am on the other side of the world - I have just finished my lunchbreak grin

pasturesnew Thu 03-Sep-09 05:25:57

I forgot we are on tinterweb! I am v v pregnant and have weird sleeping patterns, was downstairs dusting top of kitchen cupboards half an hour ago, as you do!

TanteRose Thu 03-Sep-09 05:27:06

grin
ooh, when are you due? how exciting?
(soz for hijack)

pasturesnew Thu 03-Sep-09 05:46:11

Am 37 weeks now so could be this week, could be another 5! The mad nesting and strong Braxtons make me think sooner rather than later though.

TanteRose Thu 03-Sep-09 05:49:17

good luck and don't do too much cleaning! smile

pasturesnew Thu 03-Sep-09 06:06:36

Thanks! Sorry for hijack carrie.

BubbaAndBump Thu 03-Sep-09 06:18:32

That's not too much at all! My DD2 is 10 1/2 months and has three milk feeds a day (2 BF morning and night), big breakfast, snack mid morning, lunch, bottle (7oz) in the afternoon, snack, then a big supper. She is crawling and things so is hungry all the time, but she scoffs down food. I asked the HV if I could overfeed and she said as long as food she was taking was nutritious and well-balanced, then it should be fine. (btw, she now weighs about 23 lbs)

Your mother's just impatient for him to get to the next stage. Enjoy the peace while he's still not moving!! (But seriously if you're concerned, or to shut your parents up at least, you could ask at his next weighing with the HV and then make a more informed decision)

carrie1985 Thu 03-Sep-09 13:12:05

thaks for all your advice, i'll take DS to the baby clinic next week and get his weight checked out. love this website..i've never had so many experienced mums advice on tap before!

belgo Thu 03-Sep-09 13:15:25

agree, get rid of the juice, full of calories and bad for the teeth. I would just give fruit as dessert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now