Talk

Advanced search

Grounding as a punishment

(12 Posts)
TreeTrunkThighs Wed 02-Sep-09 17:01:04

I spotted yesterday that DD1 has cut her hair. She has been told off repeatedly for cutting things and has really only been trusted with scissors again in the last month.

I couldn't really think of anything else at the time so I grounded her for today.

Trouble is it hasn't really seemed like much of a punishment.

If you 'ground' as a punishment what other rules do you have - like no TV, computer, DS?

She has basically been playing with her sister and the dog and watching a bit of telly. Not exactly hard going!

Just wondering what others do.

Also, what other punishments do you have 'in the bank' for a nearly 7 year old?

said Wed 02-Sep-09 17:03:14

I think you'd have to make her do something as well to make grounding effective - sort out her wardrobe (properly), clean your kitchen cupboards for you etc. You make to make grounding unattractive.

seeker Wed 02-Sep-09 17:06:06

I wouldn't punish for this - it's her hair after all!

Grounding doesn't work at this age really - they need to have something they really realy want to do that you're going to stop them doing.

No TV, no computer usually works!

NinjaRain Wed 02-Sep-09 17:18:08

We have a no screen time ban rather then grounding. It works so much better. Screens = computer/consoles/mp3/radios/tvs/dvds etc. this is combined with no people over to play, no going out to play, no trips outs and no phone calls. It is amazingly effective. I have a 4 1/2 yo ds.

I am a mean mummy so there grin

positiveattitudeonly Wed 02-Sep-09 17:26:00

I find grounding more of a punishment for me than my DC's.hmm They end up lolling around the house, fed up, eating, getting under my feet and generally being grumpy!
Once grounded DD1 for 2 weeks and it nearly drove me mad shock. I was more desperate for it to end than she was! I learnt my lesson, never grounded since!
Taking their mobile phone away works wonders here. (teenager girls)

piscesmoon Wed 02-Sep-09 19:23:29

I would have thought it was one of those 'natural consequence things'. My DS3 cut a lump out of his-he had to go to the barber and they only thing to do was have it cut really short all over-he didn't do it again because he didn't like it. Either your DDs hair isn't too bad, in which case she doesn't need a punishment-or it is a mess and she lives with it.

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 02-Sep-09 19:25:59

Grounding has never worked in our house - as others have said, the punishment is either making them do something they don't want to do or withhold some pleasurable activity like TV, playstation, WII ...

dogofpoints Wed 02-Sep-09 19:29:36

grounding worked well for us because the dds loved going out and seeing friends.

Like any consequence, it's only going to work if it matters.

TreeTrunkThighs Wed 02-Sep-09 20:40:44

Thanks - lots to think about! I guess having to live with her wonky fringe is enough! She has come down with a cold so has just been lolling on the sofa and probably would have been anyway.

I think screen time ban sounds more likely to be effective - I'll go with that if I have to.

Tortington Wed 02-Sep-09 20:42:29

i think its your fault for leaving scissors in her reach if shes been told off before

however

grounding is a shit punishment ( although have done it)

i much prefer chores - that way at least something gets done

random Wed 02-Sep-09 20:44:44

I've never grounded my Ds[16] ..in fact he never leaves his room long enough to be grounded grin

TreeTrunkThighs Wed 02-Sep-09 20:48:15

I actually gave her the scissors! She has been banned from using any (except under close supervision) for the last year or so after she was snip-happy with her hair, teddys, duvet, pillow case and a pair of pants. I, foolishly, thought she had maybe matured in the last year and might not try the same tricks. Wrong! I've learnt my lesson, I doubt she's learnt hers.

Chores sound good too. Will add to my arsenal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now