Talk

Advanced search

Party advice please for dd (4/5)

(11 Posts)
Travellerintime Tue 01-Sep-09 20:16:40

DD has just started primary 1 (Scotland). We only know one other child in the whole school, a friend's son who's in her class.

Anyway, her birthday looms in a month's time. I wondered if it might be nice to use this as a chance to invite all the girls in the class to her party to help dd get to know them better, and us to get to know parents, therefore encouraging playdates. (Not that I don't want her to be friends with the boys, it's just that's an arbitrary way of meaning I don't invite the whole class; it would mean 10 girls coming).

If I asked dd who she wanted to invite she'd probably just one or two names.

Any thoughts? As usual, I'm a bit nervous about this - I find I 'angst' far more over dd's social life than my own.

blametheparents Tue 01-Sep-09 20:25:51

I would do that, sounds a nice idea and 10 is a manageable number.

roundwindow Tue 01-Sep-09 20:52:29

Lovely idea. Speaking from experience though, don't assume that the children's parents will stick around unless you expressly tell them you'd like them to. I'm still recovering from the trauma of being unexpectedly in charge of 25 screaming children with only one other adult for two hours. Shudder.

Travellerintime Tue 01-Sep-09 21:36:05

Ok, I'm encouraged. Now I just have to decide what to do with them. Have them round (yikes) or do something organised.... any ideas?

Good point re parents staying/leaving - don't really mind, but it'd be nice if some stayed (at dd's party last year I was like a demented primary school teacher trying to manage all the 4 year olds).

Clary Tue 01-Sep-09 21:38:42

If she's going to be 5 I would assume all parents will leave.

This is an endless debate on MN but that's my experience. Apart from anything else lots of people have younger DC and need to go away with them.

Anyway; ideas - if you have space, can you have it at home - princess tea party, that kind of thing? A few games, a bit of craft (ecorate a tiara?) and some cakes iced pink with sprinkles?

ChookKeeper Tue 01-Sep-09 21:49:41

Whatever you do don't invite all 30 from the class and then think it's a good idea to do a 30-layer pass the parcel with a chocolate in each layer on the hottest day of the year (like I did smile)

isittooearlyforgin Tue 01-Sep-09 21:56:23

i've found that if you offer parents a glass of something alcoholic when they arrive and some nibbles, they tend to stay!

Travellerintime Wed 02-Sep-09 20:04:16

Sound advice, istoearlyforgin!

iheartdusty Wed 02-Sep-09 20:22:56

I think I would invite the boy you know and his best mate, as well. There's a lot to be said for having friends among the boys and the girls in class, IMO.

LilianGish Wed 02-Sep-09 20:27:59

I would do that. We did that when dd was seven and we had just moved - it was a winner in terms of making lots of new friends and being accepted into the group.

LilianGish Wed 02-Sep-09 20:30:47

Sorry - didn't read whole thread. I would go with the crafty activity and a couple of traditional party games and definitely lay on a few drinks and nibbles for parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now