Talk

Advanced search

Is there such a thing as toy Russian dolls?

(9 Posts)
cerealmonster Mon 31-Aug-09 21:18:03

My DS has fallen in love with my set and plays with it all day and takes one to bed at night. I am a bit worried they are not really safe for him to play with and have hidden the two smallest ones. He is 22 months old. He plays with the bigger ones happily enough but he is bashing them to bits and I am worried he might break one and hurt himself. Anyone ever seen a child friendly version?

iheartdusty Mon 31-Aug-09 21:32:44

we have a set from Ikea, they cost about £7 IIRC.

they are not particularly sturdy, just quite thin wood, but unlikely to hurt a child I guess. I suppose the wood could splinter.

there are many kinds of 'nesting' toys around though, would he like something else where little bits go into a bigger part IYSWIM?

like these

QuintessentialShadows Mon 31-Aug-09 21:33:42

???
cloth dinosaurs?

QuintessentialShadows Mon 31-Aug-09 21:34:17

russian dolls

LyraSilvertongue Mon 31-Aug-09 21:35:12

I saw a set in a shop here called Hawkins Bazaar. It's a toy shop so I guess it must be suitable for children.

iheartdusty Mon 31-Aug-09 21:40:52

What I had in mind was a toy where little parts are within a bigger part, IYSWIM, hence the cloth dinosaurs. You can get wooden nesting dolls in lots of places, including Amazon, but they are all liable to split because they are made of thin wood. I was just trying to think of alternatives.

noah's ark?
squeaky eggs?

MrsBadger Mon 31-Aug-09 21:45:12

I think the ikea set would be fine

I have a cheapy souvenir set my sister brought back from Russia and dd adored them, but I only let her play with them after she understood 'not in your mouth'

they are remarkably tough - wood is a lot sturdier than we plastic-generation think

Notsochilledanymore Tue 01-Sep-09 09:47:57

Have been letting my 18mo dd play with my Russian dolls for the last 6 months. She's not allowed them in bed, and only let her have the 4 biggest ones, but they have taken a real beating without splitting. Am now worried that have been very blase and careless Mum blush

cerealmonster Tue 01-Sep-09 22:04:46

Those eggs are cool! I think he would like those. Maybe I will just get him his own set. Actually they do seem to be coping but they are mine from when I was little and don't want them lost or totally destroyed. He has never played with anything so much before though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now