Talk

Advanced search

What's the WORST parenting advice you've ever been given?

(92 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Mon 31-Aug-09 14:59:48

Both from professionals and well-meaning friends.

DH and I were ROFLing today about how having a talkative child apparently means they're ready to get rid of nappies.

FlamingoBingo Mon 31-Aug-09 15:00:36

A toddler can't potty train until they can jump with both feet off the ground properly hmm

MrsMerryHenry Mon 31-Aug-09 15:01:56

That is BRILLIANT!!! How deliciously random!

NoahFence Mon 31-Aug-09 15:03:55

ah well shopppingbags has been goign on abotu ehr son not jumping for ages and he was a poor trainer!

belgo Mon 31-Aug-09 15:04:15

My children were both potty trained before they were talking, so it is a bit random.

The worst advice I was given was if they bite, bite them back. Really shocked by that advice.

Geocentric Mon 31-Aug-09 15:08:14

Apparently when your toddler learns to stand and stick his/her head between legs it means that a sibling will soon be on the way. hmm

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Mon 31-Aug-09 15:09:30

"the trouble with your kids is that they are too damn comfortable. You need to traumatise them a bit"

Thanks Mum hmm

Flower3545 Mon 31-Aug-09 15:10:29

I've had the bite em back advice tooshock

Worst I think goes to my mother whose sage advice was "putting suger in her bottle will keep her regular" and "if she's teething there's nothing better than rubbing her gums with neat whisky"

Had I followed her wise hmm words I'd have ended up with a lush with diarrhea and bad teeth grin

Pielight Mon 31-Aug-09 15:13:06

lol Geo. What an extraordinarily bizarre thing to tell someone.

Mine is 'don't give them too much food, it'll keep them hungry and they will fight for each other's food and learn to appreciate what you put on the table.'

Of course! Isn't that just a brilliant idea?

MrsMerryHenry Mon 31-Aug-09 15:13:29

shock at Greensleeves' mum!

Geocentric Mon 31-Aug-09 15:15:12

Between biting our DCs, rubbing their gums with whiskey and making them fight for food, I think we should have a nice ordinary bunch of children, no?

thumbwitch Mon 31-Aug-09 15:20:10

my bro thinks it is better to allow DC to experience potential humiliation and sadness at school first and THEN tell them that they had a much better time not going to X's party..hmm

whereas my sis said it to her DD on the day of the party to AVOID said potential humiliation and sadness at school on the monday... (apparently "most parents make that mistake"hmm)

Which would you have done?

MIAonline Mon 31-Aug-09 15:20:45

To stop cuddling my newborn in case he got too spoilt.

sweetkitty Mon 31-Aug-09 15:23:29

Grinding up rusk and sugar in a bottle of formula will make her sleep through.
A bit of tea in a bottle never did you no harm
Young ones these days are so lazy with their children, when you were learning to walk we stayed a foot away from you at all times in case you fell hmm
You were potty trained at 18 months hmm mothers are lazy these days
Children need a good slap, you're too soft

SheWillBeLoved Mon 31-Aug-09 15:23:31

Feed my newborn no less than every 4 hours, and leave them to cry if they're hungry before then as it will 'get them into a routine and teach them not to be so spoilt'shock

Pielight Mon 31-Aug-09 15:24:06

I don't understand the predicament tw. A party your child hasn't been invited to?

girlsyearapart Mon 31-Aug-09 15:41:22

Geo - there was me thinking if you see a head sticking out between your own legs a sibling was on the way!

thumbwitch Mon 31-Aug-09 15:52:24

that's it, pielight. A party that it seemed almost everyone else had been invited to except my DN, including DN's bf.(She is only 5, btw)

Pielight Mon 31-Aug-09 15:59:02

Why would anyone do that though? It's so crazy.

I'm trying to work out what I would have done. Probably not said anything, and tried to work out on the monday if they knew (which they might not know and almost certainly wouldn't know that EVERYONE would have gone) as 5 y-olds don't do loads of 'oh god wasn't that fun on saturday? Everyone who is anyone in reception was there' chat ime. So your BIL's approach, I guess?

Stayingsunnygirl Mon 31-Aug-09 15:59:08

An elderly neighbour told me that ds1 was crying too much (I was trying to re-establish breastfeeding after problems in hospital), so I should give him a bottle of sugar water!

wilbur Mon 31-Aug-09 16:05:20

For me it was "Never wake a sleeping baby". Ds1 used to go to sleep after lunch and would sleep most of the afternoon away then wake up at 5 or 5.30 raring to go. Chances of getting him to sleep at a reasonable bedtime? Nil.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 31-Aug-09 16:06:45

If a baby or a toddler bites you, you should bite them back, then they will never do it again.

I have been told this by several people. Neither of which I believe have particularly sound parenting styles. I was rather shock at them.

That piece of garbage was thrown in the bin.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 31-Aug-09 16:07:34

belgo snap! did not see your post!

thumbwitch Mon 31-Aug-09 16:07:48

no, pielight, DN knew beforehand about the party and who was going because her bf had been invited but she hadn't. This wasn't meant to be about this specific incident, it was meant to be about avoiding potential pain for the child - sorry I posted it now as it's got too involved.

xxxxBAMBOOxxxx Mon 31-Aug-09 16:11:08

thumbwitch you have confused the hell out of me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now