Talk

Advanced search

Getting hold of books about attachment/unconditional parenting

(10 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Mon 31-Aug-09 00:55:23

Evening all

I am a big reader and interested in getting hold of books about parenting styles which, from my limited understanding of them, might suit me a bit better than SWSNBN etc. However, I can't afford to keep on buying them (already got Pantley, Leach, Rapley etc!) and my local library is a bit limited - mainly Gina Ford, Thingy Hogg and Clare Byam-Cook. Do places like the NCT have lending libraries or should I just be keeping an eye out on ebay? And any suggestions for new reading material? Ta

Tambajam Mon 31-Aug-09 19:40:05

Your local library will be able to order them for you. You may have to wait a while but they will come eventually and sometimes surprisingly quickly.
Have you read 'Raising our children, Raising ourselves' or Pantley's book on parenting e.g. hidden messages.

mumblechum Mon 31-Aug-09 19:43:06

Why do you need to read that much about it, though?

(Disclaimer: I read massive volumes but have never read a parenting book - I like a bit of escapism)

Umlellala Mon 31-Aug-09 19:47:43

Baby Wisdom by Deborah Jackson. Was in my local library... Actually, anything by her.

What Mothers Do by Naomi Stadlen, also in my local library.

Neither of these are 'manuals' but more philosophy of motherhood/anthropological studies I guess. Could they be in a different section??

sorky Mon 31-Aug-09 19:50:28

Can highly recommend "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn

sorky Mon 31-Aug-09 19:52:42

OR...Jan Hunt's "The Natural Child" is excellent. She has a website with articles too [[http://www.naturalchild.org/ here]

DitaVonCheese Mon 31-Aug-09 22:20:40

Thanks for the recommendations - much appreciated

mumblechum Partly because I'm just a voracious reader, partly because I like to read a bit of everything and thoroughly confuse myself, and partly because DD is taking 2-3 hours to feed to sleep at the moment hmm and I'm running out of things to read!

Othersideofthechannel Tue 01-Sep-09 20:38:17

What's SWSNBN?

DitaVonCheese Tue 01-Sep-09 23:04:03

Sorry - She Who Shall Not Be Named wink

Othersideofthechannel Wed 02-Sep-09 07:02:17

Thanks

(potters off to find more about the voldemort school of parenting)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now