Talk

Advanced search

How long should I carry on refusing DD another breakfast?

(21 Posts)
dilemma456 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:22:09

Message withdrawn

LaurieFairyCake Sat 29-Aug-09 10:28:11

You are not the worlds worst mother.

I would never give in and I would just calmly point out that you gave her what she asked for. If she doesn't eat it I would move on from offering her breakfast, distract her with other activities and then hope she eats a decent lunch.

If it happens every day I would be offering 2 choices for breakfast (too much choice seems to confuse them) and then eating my own breakfast/drinking coffee to encourage. I would then offer no further food til lunch.

I've never had a child as young as this though so you will probably get loads of people saying forget it, she's only young, give her something else etc, so feel free to disregard what I'd do.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 29-Aug-09 10:29:43

And it's bound to be hard today because this is the first time you have not given in and given her something else. It may only be hard for a couple of days and then she will realise you are serious.

dilemma456 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:37:03

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:42:24

hmm. Three thoughts:

1) I wouldn't eat soggy cereal. I hate it.
2) She might not have been hungry then, but is now.
3) It's ok to change your mind.

I think that I would allow her something now. Then tomorrow, talk to her before breakfast & ask her if she is sure she wants x, and that there will be nothing else until lunch if she doesn't eat it. Fair warning.

But, I don't think you'd be a bad mum to continue either.

Perhaps bring lunch forward by 20 mins.

watsthestory Sat 29-Aug-09 10:44:12

Message withdrawn

StripeySuit Sat 29-Aug-09 10:52:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Horton Sat 29-Aug-09 11:04:31

I would point out that she never eats honey loops when she asks for them and would she like to try something else, maybe toast or porridge or whatever. I wouldn't make her eat old cereal, it sounds horrible. I'd just remove it without comment and let her have only fruit or a plain slice of bread until the next meal (ie something that is literally no trouble for you and is fairly good for her).

Tortington Sat 29-Aug-09 11:06:59

just take it away and give her lunch

dont fight over it

mrsruffallo Sat 29-Aug-09 11:09:13

Let her pour the cereal amd milk in herself?

I would wait a little while after she got up before I fed her if she kept refusing breakfast. She is more likely to eat it if she is very hungry.

Not having a go at you but don't make food a battle of wills.

Tortington Sat 29-Aug-09 11:13:52

thats a good idea mrsruffalo

those little packets and a small jug of milk

Babieseverywhere Sat 29-Aug-09 11:21:03

I don't want my daughter to have the issues I have with food, so I never force her to eat. I remember sitting at the dining room table for 2/3 hours trying to choke down (cold and unliked) food so I could leave the table I promised myself I would never do this to my own kids.

If my daughter refuses food offered at meal times, I take it away with no alternative.

However we have certain things she can eat anytime if she is hungry between meals i.e. Raisons, fruit, bread sticks, rice cakes etc. If she gets hungry between meals or misses a meal, I offer these things until the next meal.

Life is too short, to create issue about food.

BonsoirAnna Sat 29-Aug-09 11:24:08

I don't understand the problem. If she doesn't want to eat breakfast, throw it away. She'll be hungry for lunch in due course.

PuppyLoves Sat 29-Aug-09 11:24:23

That must have been awful for you babieseverywhere sad

Babieseverywhere Sat 29-Aug-09 11:27:57

Not nice at the time but it was only a couple of times a month not every day or anything.

I suspect my mothers obession with empty plates and eating all food given, is partialy responsible for my poor attitude to food as an adult (I am very overweight and use food as an emotional crutch, my children hopefully won't do this)

Hobnobfanatic Sat 29-Aug-09 11:30:54

I'd hold on until lunchtime - but maybe do an earlier lunch than usual.

edam Sat 29-Aug-09 11:34:33

Please don't leave manky old cereal out for hours and demand that she eats it. You wouldn't.

I know it's frustrating but she is three. They are contrary little things at that age. And by insisting she has to eat it you are imposing a continuing punishment. Any disputes at this age should be dealt with immediately and then you move on.

Lou's right, offer a choice of two items you know she likes tomorrow, give her fair warning that that's it. Unreasonable to have a sudden crack down today - she's used to you playing along, she didn't know when she chose the cereal this would be the consequence.

MrsMattie Sat 29-Aug-09 11:36:45

This is what is for breakfast. Eat it. If you don't, there is nothing until lunch.

best way forward.

Hobnobfanatic Sat 29-Aug-09 11:36:56

Yes, definitely chuck the cereal! If something is refused and not eaten within half an hour, chuck it and don't offer another meal until the next schedule mealtime.

2rebecca Sat 29-Aug-09 11:39:29

She won't starve until lunch. I wouldn't make anyone eat soggy cereal but assuming she was asking for breakfast and hadn't just got up (I hate people trying to make me eat breakfast before i'm ready for it on a weekend) I would make it clear she sits and eats breakfast or nothing else until lunch. I usually turn the TV off / playstation/ computer etc until breakfast is eaten. If you normally let her have something else then you have to be firmer with her.

dilemma456 Sat 29-Aug-09 18:23:45

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now