Talk

Advanced search

DD1 will be 8. Run out of ideas for a present. Help!

(12 Posts)
WolverineInMarigolds Sat 29-Aug-09 08:59:25

Ladies I need your collective wisdom pleaase. I'm fed up of plastic tatt cluttering up our house. I have asked DD1 what she wants and there's nothing she really has her heart set on. She's not really into anything in particular.

I'm going to treat her to a 'Spa Day' before her birthday party. I'll give her a mani/pedi,a face pack and do her hair. The let her put on some make up (read: lip gloss!) and take some photo's of her. Plus take her shopping for new party outfit.

So, is there anything you can think of that she can open on her actual birthday? Got a budget of £30 for the present.

Thanks xx

girlsyearapart Sat 29-Aug-09 09:06:22

Before I read your message I was going to say I got my nephew (8) a trip to Chessington W of A but you're already going out. He likes books too and I bought him a little monopoly card game.
My sister bought him a camera he was v v v happy with. Has she got one?
Accessories to match party outfit?

ZippysMum Sat 29-Aug-09 09:08:22

If she enjoys spending time doing things with you, why not make up a few 'vouchers' that she can use through the year.

e.g. This voucher entitles DD to:

A trip out for an ice cream
A trip to the cinema
1 hour of devoted 'mum' time doing whatever she wants
A home 'manicure'
A baking session with mum

etc.

You could print them out on the computer and put them in a spangly box.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 29-Aug-09 09:08:50

Giant beanbag? (get a lot of size for your money!)
Nice pair of boots
Game for nintendo/wii/atari
Some posh toy ponies with a little jumping fence set.

weegiemum Sat 29-Aug-09 09:13:12

I like the idea of a camera (squirrels is away for own dd1's b/day(

How about some posh grown up art stuff? My dd1 (9) is really into art and has her own pastels, pencils, paints (proper watercolours) brushes and 'real' art paper. She loves it!

mathanxiety Sat 29-Aug-09 09:20:21

My DDs were very happy with a kids cookbook around that age and we spent time together making simple recipes and eating the quite often yummy results (and I spent time cleaning the kitchen hmm).

MaryBS Sat 29-Aug-09 09:23:08

My daughter LOVES her digital camera, and they're so cheap now, you should be able to pick up one for about £30

OtterInaSkoda Sat 29-Aug-09 16:24:44

DDoes she have an mp3 player? Ds (8) has one aand loves it. I'm thinking about getting hone of these for his birthday:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0326203/Trail/searchtext%3EMP3+PILLOW.ht m

OtterInaSkoda Sat 29-Aug-09 16:30:50

Good grief I made a hash of that post. Sorry! blush
mp3 pillow

WolverineInMarigolds Sat 29-Aug-09 18:14:13

Ladies - thank you so much for all the fab ideas.

Only problem I have now is choosing which one to give to DD1! Mind you, there's always Christmas round the corner....

tummytickler Sat 29-Aug-09 21:42:39

My dd was just 8 - we got her a little CD player for her room and a Rolling Stones CD (her fav grin), a knitting kit and some little bits (jewellry, hair bands, new outfit, books etc)
For Xmas we are getting her a skateboard, telesope and maybe a digital camera or might save that until next years birthday!

PlumBumMum Sat 29-Aug-09 21:48:05

My dd is 8 and like all others have said loves anything crafty at the min and horses,

she got appletree stables last year as a surprise gift for christmas,
her main present was a ds, ended up playing with the stables all day, that was a definite sucess

Oh and she got 17 again last week with her own money must say didn't mind watching abit of Zac Efron myselfgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now