Talk

Advanced search

At what age would you let your child let themselves into the house after school.....

(15 Posts)
Paolosgirl Thu 27-Aug-09 15:04:06

and wait there for 1.5hrs til you got home from work, 2 days a week?

DD (10) is desperate to do this, although I have serious reservations. She currently goes to an afterschool club 2 minutes walk from the house, and her older brother (12) currently lets himself in after high school.

Am I right to veto her request, or too overprotective do you think?

foofi Thu 27-Aug-09 15:05:20

I think 10 would be fine.

TheCrackFox Thu 27-Aug-09 15:08:15

Would her older brother be at home with her? If so I think it would be fine. Although I was much more sensible than my big brother.

tattycoram Thu 27-Aug-09 15:08:15

My brother and I did this from about ten and eight. I think it was twcie a week for about an hour and a half. It was fine. We just watched childrens bbc

LaurieFairyCake Thu 27-Aug-09 15:08:33

I am not allowed by social services to let my foster daughter stay at home on her own, not even for ten minutes after school. She is 11.6 and starting secondary school and eminently sensible.

So be careful. They said she was to be at least 13 before I would be allowed to do this. Even though she is allowed into town on her own for a couple of hours and round the park on her own.

Obviously there is no legal age but if anything were to happen then you would be responsible.

Paolosgirl Thu 27-Aug-09 15:13:54

Yes, her big brother would be there with her. When I let him come home and let himself in, the afterschool club were fab and said that if there were any problems he was just to come down to the village hall and they would look after him - I'm sure they would offer the same thing for DD.

I know there is no legal age, which kind of makes it harder iykwim?! I did think of getting a teenager in to 'babysit' her, but DS is having none of it. Dilemmas dilemmas.

SlartyBartFast Thu 27-Aug-09 15:15:46

is there no friends/neighbours that could have her?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 27-Aug-09 15:15:46

I've had to hire a childminder hmm

<ridiculous>

bellavita Thu 27-Aug-09 15:19:17

I start a new job on the 7th September (previously done evening work to fit in) and on a Monday and Tuesday I will not be home until 5.45. This is the first time that DS1 (12) and going into Yr8 will be having is own key. He will get home around 4.10pm and DH should be in between 5/5.15pm.

He does stay in the house by himself if I pop into town etc but he is not allowed out, I think it is because I worry that he won't lock the door properly..

DS2 (nearly 10) will be going to after school club as he would be home earlier than DS1.

Paolosgirl Thu 27-Aug-09 15:23:19

Laurie - that is crazy!

Slarty - no, not really. I don't like to impose that often, it's a big commitment.

SlartyBartFast Thu 27-Aug-09 15:26:54

oh, i misread the op, didnt notice the older brother,
i am sure it will be fine and thye would just chill out in front of tv and enjoy themselves grin

Elk Thu 27-Aug-09 16:03:29

My next door neighbours son has been letting himself in since he was 10, last year of primary. I have said if there are any problems he is welcome to ask for my help (the other adults in the street, a small cul-de-sac, have also offered). This means that although he is on his own there is a support network for him if required.

It all sounds reasonable to me as long as they get on well together.

Paolosgirl Thu 27-Aug-09 16:18:55

Thanks for all the advice - it's hard sometimes when they want to have that extra bit of independence. We live in a quiet cul-de-sac also, and there are neighbours and friend who would help out in an emergency as well as the after school club.

abra1d Thu 27-Aug-09 16:21:24

She should be fine.

applepudding Thu 27-Aug-09 22:09:07

If your two children get on well together I think that that should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now