Talk

Advanced search

night time waking for potty?

(5 Posts)
nowandagain Wed 26-Aug-09 23:57:40

DD is 2.3 yrs, usually a good sleeper but after every holidays or illness starts waking in the night. Usually if we ignore the night time waking it settles after 2-3 nights but if we go to her she starts to wake every night. She recently potty trained (whilst on holiday) and did really well, dry by day after 4 days but still in pull ups at night that are wet in the morning. For the past week or so she's been waking at various times in the night shouting "wee-wee". I've gone to her and put her on the loo for a wee, but I wonder whether she now uses this as an excuse every time she wakes up as she knows we'll go into her. Would really like herself to be able to settle again for everyone's sake! She is still in a cot bed and I'm wondering about taking the sides down and putting a potty in the room but have avoided this so far as she shares with baby DS. Would really like herself to be able to settle again. Have others experienced this? Thanks

girlsyearapart Thu 27-Aug-09 12:15:08

hi yes same problem here. Dd is 23 mo and was a great sleeper. Until we started potty training and she woke us up every night to ask for the toilet even though in a pull up.
We try to ignore her and it seems to be getting better.
Gina Fords potty training book does say something about potties in the bedroom. Think she says not to but hey thats Gina Ford for you.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 27-Aug-09 12:20:08

Watching with interest as DD1 (2.6) has started doing this 2 weeks out of nappies. I don't mind hugely at the moment but will get tired of it pretty soon I think.

She is also still in a cot bed, so I'm not sure what to do. She's also meant to start sharing with DD2 very soon (we were going to try some time in September) so I'm not sure a potty in the room is a good idea but at the same time having her shouting "I need a wee wee mummy" at 2am isn't exactly going to work when DD2 is sleeping there either.

Seona1973 Thu 27-Aug-09 14:14:08

I never did the potty in the room thing but the kids are free to go to the toilet in the night if they need it. DD goes by herself (she is 5 though). DS (2.9 years) comes through to us and we take him to the toilet. He doesnt go in the night every night but it is better that he lets us know he needs the toilet than wets his bed. He came out his cot around 2.6 years as he was waking dry and we wanted him to be able to get up for the toilet if he needed to go in the night. He never really used a potty so leaving a potty in the room would not work for us.

nowandagain Fri 28-Aug-09 11:52:37

Glad it's not just us! DD cried out for a wee about 3 minutes after going to the loo last night so I'm sure a lot of it is attention seeking and I'm going to try to ignore it. I guess a potty in the room is not a good idea really so I think we'll try to avoid this if possible. Hopefully this is just a phase in the early days of being potty trained and won't last long!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now