Talk

Advanced search

No sterilizing of newborn bottles

(18 Posts)
brockleybelle Wed 26-Aug-09 23:15:23

My MIL never sterilized my husband's or his sister's - just washed well and rinsed with boiled water. When we took DS to visit last Sept (Lithuania) when he was 3 months old she thought it was odd we were still sterilizing (I insisted and, credit to her, she would sterilize them for us).

Her daughter, my dh's sister, is expecting a baby and it came up in conversation with MIL that they won't be sterilizing baby's bottles.

I'm curious if anyone on here doesn't bother to sterilize a newborn's bottles and your experiences. At the moment I believe it's far too risky and not a risk worth taking.

PitysSake Wed 26-Aug-09 23:17:48

I became very lax about it after about 6 months
i once met a woman who RREALLY carried on till a year! i was stunnned - as if before midnight its not safe then after midnight its ok!

juneybean Wed 26-Aug-09 23:18:29

I don't have kids yet, but this is something I do think about. I think I would sterilise for a newborn but maybe drop it at 6 months, I don't know.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 26-Aug-09 23:19:15

IIRC there is a poster on here who was advised NOT to sterilize for her DC who (I think) had been born early.
I may be wrong though. Somebody with a better memory will come along.
I b/fed but if we ever used bottles I'd wash and rince.

brockleybelle Wed 26-Aug-09 23:21:05

I dropped it coming up to 6 months as by that stage he was putting everything in his mouth, so I couldn't see the point.
Sterilizing up to a year is ridiculous!??

weegiemum Wed 26-Aug-09 23:21:18

I b/fed as well, and stuck my pump through the dishwasher.

I do know that the advice for making up formula has changed, though, so not sure if sterilizing bottles is now part of that or not??

Brangelina Wed 26-Aug-09 23:22:41

In hospitals here in Italy we're told it is entirely unnecessary and you need only wash in warm soapy water and air dry (ie not dry off with a manky teatowel). Most microbiologists also believe it's totally unnecessary.

I've never sterilised a thing in DD's life and she's never been ill, but then I appreciate she only ever had a few bottles in the grand scheme of things.

sazm Wed 26-Aug-09 23:23:15

my health visitor told me to always sterilise bottles until 12m, but not to worry about weaning equip, was also advised to start weaning at 16weeks,o why sterelise bottles but no feeding equip when lo is 4 months old???

my lo is now nearly 9 months, he only has 1 bottle at bedtime,and i havent been sterelising it (for the last week or so) am so glad im not the only one!!

zazen Wed 26-Aug-09 23:28:21

I think I put the bottles in the dishwasher to wash them for the first three months.

I breastfed for nine months but had mixed feeding from about two months - so we had breastmilk and expressed breastmilk and also bottles of formula the odd time also.

I was told by the midwife that expressed breastmilk could be perfect in the fridge for two days, and in the door of the fridge for a day, so absolutely no need to decant it into a fresh bottle.

I think I stopped being very careful about 'sterile conditions' when DD could suck her hands - and especially when she could pick something up (and pop it into her mouth)!

You know, in France they don't boil the water for formula from birth - and they don't warm it up : and they don't sterilise bottles either. Seems to work!

Brangelina Wed 26-Aug-09 23:32:52

If you do put bottles etc. in the dishwasher, avoid rinse aid as it's really quite toxic and far too chemical for delicate newborns. I won't use rinse aid even now.

brockleybelle Wed 26-Aug-09 23:33:05

I started putting tap water (warmed in micro) from 5 months, I think. I read on the internet that tap water is perfectly safe for anyone to drink, and that includes babies! I think it was an American government site (might be wrong there). Never had any problems with doing that. It certainly made things a little easier.

Clary Wed 26-Aug-09 23:34:11

I never sterlised anything ever for DS2 (a colleague was shocked at this only today.

He is the healthiest child and never had eczema (unlike the other 2) tho that may be coincidence of course).

Mind you I did bf him till 13 mo and had a year off work so he never had a bottle.

hatwoman Wed 26-Aug-09 23:35:23

imo (which may be completely wrong) the difference between bottles and weaning bowls/spoons etc is that you store milk in the former. so I applied this logic and stopped sterlising bottles when I started weaning - but never stored milk in them for any period of time. I also ended using an American brand of teat (playtex) which are made of rubber - and can't be sterilised.

logi Wed 26-Aug-09 23:43:59

I sterilised for over a year....just to be safe lol

pinkteddy Wed 26-Aug-09 23:44:41

iirc dishwashers in the US are much hotter than in UK so they don't need to sterlise bottles and teats if using a dishwasher. Hatwoman is right, milk is the reason you need to sterilise.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 26-Aug-09 23:49:05

I never understood why sterilisation was deemed the holy grail of newborn feeding hygiene when we stick our non-sterile breasts in their mouths. hmm

Someone once explained that milk can get stuck in the grooves around the necks of the bottles and bacteria can grow there. Surely the solution here is to wash them up better?

In any case when plastic is exposed to high (and freezing) temperatures it releases micro particles, which enter the food and do our bodies no good. So I shan't be sterilising for DC2.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Aug-09 23:55:30

Message withdrawn

brockleybelle Thu 27-Aug-09 00:00:42

MrsMerryHenry, I thought the same thing about breastfeeding.
Re plastic bottles - companies are now selling bottles that don't contain the nasty chemicals that leak out on contact with heat. Another recommendation is to buy glass bottles as these can be heated with no danger.

When DS was a few weeks old he woke in the night for a feed, as they do wink. DH had forgotten to switch on the sterilizer so we had no bottles! I was livid. I spent 15 minutes preparing the bottle in the middle of the night with a screaming, very hungry baby. Looking back I should have just given it a good wash, but I thought you absolutely had to sterilize and if I didn't he'd get a nasty stomach bug. I remember reading that bottle-fed babies are 5 times more likely to get gastroenteritis than bf babies. I do think, however, that with future babies I won't be quite so strict (ideally I won't need bottles at all for the first months - I wasn't able to bf this time ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now