Talk

Advanced search

5 year old dd meltdown at bedtime scenario

(7 Posts)
EleanoraBuntingCupcake Wed 26-Aug-09 08:31:15

dd has never tantrumed particularily but bedtime has been horrendous for the past month or so. she has just started school so i am trying to cut her some slack but equally i want her to go to bed.

unless we cuddle or head stroke her to sleep she is like a devil child. i know all the 'how to speak to children' stuff but the book appear to conveniently neglect the 'how to speak to devil children at bed time' case study.

i actually made myself laugh doing the whole ' you are angry aren't you?' routine while her head was practically spinning in fury.

am going to try a chart. but any gentle words of advice would be gratefully received.

labyrinthine Wed 26-Aug-09 09:00:05

not sure I can help with the approach itself but I wondered if it is more to do with bedtime leading to school the next morning and anxiety/problems with that?
Has she settled in well and is she missing you at all?

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Wed 26-Aug-09 09:30:01

thanks - it started before school but she might have had anxiety about school. i will attempt to talk to her about it tonight.

labyrinthine Wed 26-Aug-09 09:32:43

is she the same on friday/saturday nights?

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Wed 26-Aug-09 09:33:52

she only started last week.

labyrinthine Wed 26-Aug-09 10:00:04

oh!
Has she developed a fear of the dark/seen something scary/changed lighting in room etc?
Is she wanting to stay up late to watch TV,or stay with older siblings etc?

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Wed 26-Aug-09 10:01:05

or is she possessed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now