Talk

Advanced search

problems at meal times

(5 Posts)
Boblina Tue 25-Aug-09 20:02:07

Hi I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on this. I have a 2 year old DS and up to about 2 weeks ago he had not problem at the dinner table. You see he loves his food always has. he will eat anything. There was never any fuss sitting down at the table having breakfast, lunch or dinner but now we have tears and won't always sit down and eat. Sometimes he will eventually and other times simply refuse. Not sure why this change or what I can do about it. Any thoughts. I mean there have been changes which could have possibly unsettled him - I am 28 weeks pregnant with N2 and we have been decorating so the place has been up side down but for the past couple of weeks things are starting to look normal so I am not sure if it's any of these. We do have tantrum anyway (occasional) but do. What can we do. Thanks

dingdong05 Wed 26-Aug-09 00:16:16

perhaps it is the upset thats causing this. they do say it's one of the few things little kds can control so meal times can be flash points. if you can try to have a routine around mealtimes it could help, perhaps. like when settling him for the night (eg i turn off tv/radio, have bath, read story, to bed)you give him a chance to get ready, perhaps involve him in preparing the table, spreading the bread or something so for 1/2 hour he is involved in the journey to lunch, then after you get back to the chaos!
not that i'm suggesting your home is chaos grin

Boblina Wed 26-Aug-09 07:18:26

I tried something like that last night. asked him to help me set the table and taste the pasta with me and things like that. It did not seem to make any difference. I mean he helped because he loves doing that kind out thingm but when it came to sitting down and eating it he was having none of it. But then again it was only the first time in a month or so that he helped me. I shall try it again today and see what happens. You may be right all the changes that are happening my be upsetting him. Also all his friends are not around (on holiday or moved to a different country) so he may need some more children contact time. One of his friends is back today so that may help. Thanks. Anyone any other thoughts?

Gateau Wed 26-Aug-09 09:23:30

I empathise; we have the same problem with our DS (2.4) - have done for some time. Not sure if it's down to anything in particular, just them being toddlers!! Our DS has recently wanted to watch Cbeebies instead of sitting down at the table so we have started using a bit of bribery wink, ie telling him he can watch a bit of tv IF he sits down and eats his dinner. Or sometimes we promise him a little treat if he does so, eg chocolate fingers, which he loves.
Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but give it a try anyway. We also threaten to put him in his baby chair (booster seat) if he doesn't sit down and this can also pay off.DH has also started to using a firmer, more authoritative tone and that worked quite well last night.
I think it's another phase that will resolve itself in time but I do think it's important to let them know they need to sit down at the table at meal-times.
Good luck!

Boblina Wed 26-Aug-09 13:10:47

Thank you, it is good to know that someone else is going through it too. Not that I wish it on anyone else. Just had another battle for lunch. I shall give you suggestions a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now