Talk

Advanced search

PFB alert! Do I need to do anything to prepare dd for preschool?

(13 Posts)
claireybee Tue 25-Aug-09 11:25:58

She has never been to nursery or anything. Leaving her won't be a problem (from her point of view anyway though ds and me will probably cry)but we tend to just potter around a lot rather than doing many structured activities so I'm wondering if she will find that it hard to adjust in that way.

Until now I've been very laid back about the whole thing but I overheard some mums saying that chldren who haven't been to nursery struggle at preschool so it got me wondering. And then some of my friends took their dc shopping for a special school drinks bottle, new shoes etc and I thought "blimey, I hadn't thought of doing anything like that"

colditz Tue 25-Aug-09 11:33:08

No, and your friends who are doing it are nutso. Unless it's an exclusive private preschool, the closest your daughter is likely to get to some structure is "Lets tidy up our lunch things because we are going to do painting!"

And to be honest, it continues like that right up until yr one at school, where they are suddenly expected to sit down, shut the fuck up, listen carefullly, remember the instructions given then carry them out with no further support.

(sorry)

dinkystinky Tue 25-Aug-09 11:33:52

Is it full day preschool or half day? Am sure they do settling in sessions for the kids at your preschool (they do at mine, phased intake) so kids who have never been to nursery will get looked after. DS1 starts at preschool in October and I've taken him to look around there and meet the teachers, we point it out when we walk past it (is part of the school round the corner from us) and talk about it lots and I read him books like Harry and the Dinosaurs go to School and the Charlie & Lola I am absolutely too small for school book to prepare him for the idea of being away from home and his nanny or me for part of the day. He goes to lots of play groups and is very sociable so I think he's ready for preschool but like your little girl he's not good at structured activities - however the preschool seems well prepared for this with lots of different activity tables and an outdoor area the kids can play in as they want. I think its a good way of introducing them to the idea of school without being too imposing of structure for them. Nearer the time you could take her shopping for a special school bag if you want to but I wouldnt worry about it. The one thing I have done though is order some labels so I can label DS1's coat, school bag and shoes - as I remember my little sister always losing hers grin

giveloveachance Tue 25-Aug-09 11:38:13

concur with dinkystinky = most preschools will pay special attention to all the little ones there for the first few times to help them settle in. I am also reading books about pre-school to my LO - espcially the bit about mummy leaving and coming back later as all the other things we do, I stay. I have been leaving her with friends too for a hour or so on play dates with other children, so far so good.

Put your LO's name on EVERYTHING they might take with them - toys drinking cups, shoes everything!!!!

claireybee Tue 25-Aug-09 11:40:43

Goodo, will go back to merrily ignoring it then wink

Actually that's a lie, dd has been talking about it for almost a year now and does at least know that I'll just be taking her along and leaving her til lunchtime. She also plays school with her teddies and it seems to involve a lot of sitting in rows and asking to go to the toilet so I think she is fairly well prepared!

BonsoirAnna Tue 25-Aug-09 11:40:56

No you don't. Whatever you tell her will be meaningless as she has no experience of group educational settings and won't be able to imagine what it will be like. It is up to school to settle her in and it will happen easily!

giveloveachance Tue 25-Aug-09 11:41:27

oh - should add - my sister was a pre-school teacher and her advice - dont buy any new clothes, put them in old play clothes / shoes as they will come back filthy - painting, making cakes, playing outside etc etc etc!!

llareggub Tue 25-Aug-09 11:41:50

DS1 never went to nursery. On his first day at pre-school he walked, wandered off and never looked back. She'll be fine, but you probably won't be. Take a hankerchief!

bumpybecky Tue 25-Aug-09 11:44:44

It would probably be helpful if she could recognise her name, but it's really not a problem if she can't.

The preschools (x3) that my dds have been to has asked that the children change into plimsoles so as not to bring dirt in from outside. I also made sure they had a bag to put their shoes into to try and stop them getting lost. Just a small drawstring bag, nothing fancy.

Hope she has a good time

francagoestohollywood Tue 25-Aug-09 11:55:25

No, I don't think you need to do anything, I agree with Anna.
Pre-school should offer settling in sessions for your dd to get used to the teachers, the other children and new routines.
I found that most children love their routines at pre school.

rookiemater Tue 25-Aug-09 14:18:42

My childminder read a book with DS about what happens at pre school and he was very excited after that as looking forward to the activities mentioned i.e. playing with toys and playing catch.

He is on his first day today shock seemed to settle in so well that they unpicked my fingers from the railings and told me to go home.

Must go back and pick him up though ....

claireybee Tue 25-Aug-09 16:58:11

I don't think she needs to recognise her name yet, the info we got said that on the first day we'll help them find their name and the picture that goes with it and that they should be able to read their name by the end of the school year.

No worries on clothes, dd only has hand me downs and supermarket clothes anyway(apart from her bridesmaids dress but tbh even that I'd rather was worn to death than sat in a cupboard!)

pania Tue 25-Aug-09 17:30:47

Ds is starting preschool soon too, having never been away from me. The only preparation I've done is to read him Little Rabbit Goes to School which he absolutely loves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now