Talk

Advanced search

what should a 2 wk old be wearing in this weather?

(21 Posts)
HeinzSight Sun 23-Aug-09 14:13:22

My midwives keep saying vest and babygrow.

I'm worried DD will overheat!!

colditz Sun 23-Aug-09 14:14:55

'd listen to your midwives, tbh.

Reallytired Sun 23-Aug-09 14:16:01

A nappy.

As a general rule your newborn needs one more layer than you. If you are comfortable to walk around in the nude (without being cold) then a vest is probably sufficent.

peanutbutterkid Sun 23-Aug-09 14:16:51

Babies have a lot of surface area to lose heat from, they don't overheat as easily as we do.

Maybe open the poppers on baby gro as a compromise?

brockleybelle Sun 23-Aug-09 14:30:29

I had my ds 30th May last year. I was in hospital for a few days with him and it was *baking hot* as we had a mini-heatwave and there was no air in the hospital ward - just fans. The windows open made no difference. I was worried sick about ds getting too hot (fear of cotdeath) so I took his sleepsuit off (long-sleeved, long-legged) so he was just in his nappy. Soon after, he kept crying without stopping. The midwife said it was because he was under-dressed and she made me put his sleepsuit back on. He settled soon after. All that to say, I know how worrying it can be in the heat, but in my experience he was happy all buttoned up! (I didn't put vests on him last summer though, as I felt that was just too much with a sleepsuit.)

colditz Sun 23-Aug-09 14:43:35

remeber, until very recently he has been in 37 degree heat - you. Everything feels cold compard to this!

peanutbutterkid Sun 23-Aug-09 14:49:25

I always wonder about the one-more-layer rule.
Some people (I used to be one of them) are always warm, and wear shorts and short sleeves outside when there's snow on the ground.
Other people are quite cold-blooded (I became one for a while) and can be found wearing jeans and a jumper on all but the warmest day.

So hard to judge what's right for other people.

cornsillk Sun 23-Aug-09 14:51:54

I always felt the back of my ds's neck to check if they were too hot. They can't really get too cold at this time of year. I reckon a vest and babygro will be fine if you have the windows open in the house.

HeinzSight Sun 23-Aug-09 16:50:19

argh, still really confused!!

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 23-Aug-09 16:58:40

nappy with a muslin on top as a blanket so he or she does not freak out at being nakey baby!

HeinzSight Sun 23-Aug-09 17:19:59

is there not an official advice website? NHS or something?

pigleychez Sun 23-Aug-09 18:27:49

Personally i would put them in a short sleeved, short legged romper thingy.

DD was born July last year and it was baking! 30 i think.
I remember the midwife saying She was the first person she had seen all week dressing baby sensibly. DD was just in a nappy. She commented that she had seen babies with Vest, babygrow, blanket and hat!

MegBusset Sun 23-Aug-09 18:43:09

I think babygro alone is fine! They lose most heat through head so having a vest or not will not make a huge difference either way.

StayFrostysOtherSister Sun 23-Aug-09 18:49:09

I worry about this as well - I have an underactive thyroid so am quite nesh compared to other people (when not heavily pg that is). My HV told me it's better to err on the side of too cold than too warm, because if babies are too cold they will wake up and cry to let you know, whereas if they are dangerously warm they won't.

brockleybelle Mon 24-Aug-09 07:30:27

StayFrostys, that's very good advice.

CyradisTheSeer Mon 24-Aug-09 07:37:04

Message withdrawn

lovelymumma Mon 24-Aug-09 08:02:23

you need to speak to a doctor instead of midwife.I had baby in may and dressed her in short bodysuits the midwives in hospital said she was too hot in babygro.I also had a 1 year old who had a febrile convulsion (horrible scary fit} from overheating.you are the mother,you know your baby better than any one else.

BertieBotts Mon 24-Aug-09 08:16:06

I would dress them in one layer - either a vest, babygro or romper. And make sure you have a decent sunshade on the car windows, buggy, etc. And keep their fluids up by bf loads or offering water if you are bottlefeeding. And carry a blanket in case the weather changes grin

Harimosmummy Mon 24-Aug-09 08:17:31

Surely every baby is different...

MIne (3 week old) is in a vest and a baby grow (plus a nappy grin) . Currently she is tucked up in her cocoon with the cover over her body (up to her arms)

She is comfortable like that.

My DS (now 14 months) was born in May 08 and it was really hotin our bedroom, but he always needed a blanket or two to sleep comfortably... regardless of advice.

I think you just have to keep an eye on your child and make sure they are happy comfortable.

HM

flowerpot83 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:18:56

My DD (4 weeks) is living in shortsleeved vests or rompers when in the house. If we go out, then she's in a dress with either a tshirt or vest underneath.

At bedtime she wears just a vest as we've started to swaddle her...I'm thinking about scrapping the vest to be honest as she was damp with sweat this morning!

She would be way too hot in a vest and babygro.

Better to for her to be a bit chilly than overheating IMO.

Best advise I was given was to remember: it's much easier to warm up an upset chilly baby, than it is to cool down a screaming hot one!!

lechatnoir Mon 24-Aug-09 19:40:23

Mr DS2 (8 wks) is pretty much living in just a short sleeved romper and a light blanket when we're outside and if it's cooler I'll put on a pair of soft trousers & socks. He is such a hot baby and sweats buckets anyway so there's no way I'm putting a vest and babygro on shock. Mind you we're obviously a hot family as we all live in shorts & flip flops at this time of year and sleep in the nuddy!
LCN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now