Talk

Advanced search

What age to turn cot into cotbed

(26 Posts)
summerisover Fri 21-Aug-09 21:21:16

Ds is 23 months old and still in his cot and was wondering when to turn it into a proper bed? (it's a cotbed)?

Thanks in advance!

nancy75 Fri 21-Aug-09 21:24:28

ulness your ds is uncomfortable, banging his legs/arm on the sides in his sleep i would leave it as a cot until he looks like he is about to climb out on his own! cant remember exactly how old dd was when we changed hers, but she was definately 2 and a bit.

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Aug-09 21:27:04

DD was about 14 months!

HaggisNeepsnTatties Fri 21-Aug-09 21:29:13

Dd2 is 2.7 and still in cot!! I know that as soon as I take off the bars she will be outta there! Just now she is still comfortable........they will probably be on when she is 5!!!!! grin

Mistymoo Fri 21-Aug-09 21:30:09

My dd was 18 mthsd I think. I eas worried that she would be in and out all the time but that was never a problem thankfully.

Mamulik Sat 22-Aug-09 13:01:28

may be a little bit early, not yet

diddl Sat 22-Aug-09 15:28:36

My first went into a proper single bed at about 14 months-when baby no. 2 needed the cot!
(What´s a cot bed?)

Ohforfoxsake Sat 22-Aug-09 15:30:06

When he can climb out of it.

smile

mosschops30 Sat 22-Aug-09 15:35:59

It will entirely depend on your dc.
My friends ds could vault over side of cot from about 18 months. My ds was in his until nearly 3.

logi Sat 22-Aug-09 18:05:42

Definately leave them until they can climb out,at least you know where they are lol.My daughter took her dd out to put her in a bed and shes gone from going to bed every night and sleeping through, to now sleeping in with her mummy.

LevitatingCopy Sat 22-Aug-09 18:21:47

Yep, agree - leave 'em in there as long as possible, as long as it's big enough and they're not trying to climb out.

Can't see any advantage in giving them the opportunity to wander around upstairs unsupervised if you really don't have to wink

My DD's over 3 and still loves her cot, she seems to feel very secure in there and never tries to escape, even though she's easily big enough to. Admittedly she's probably quite unusual in that though!

TheIroningLady Sat 22-Aug-09 18:33:57

I've only just converted my DS's cot to cotbed and he is 2.9. He never even tried to climb out of his cot or I would have converted it before.

He fell out, (all of about 6 inches to the ground), on his first night and didn't settle so we put a bedguard up and he seems to feel much more secure in it. I think because it's more like his cot.

In the mornings if he wakes up he doesn't get up he just lays in his bed shouting "I don't like my bed" until I go and open his door smile

cupcake78 Sat 22-Aug-09 19:43:24

My ds is in a full size bed simply because he out grew his cot. He couldn't stretch out properly and was obviously uncomfortable. He's 23mths and been in his bed for about 6/8weeks now.

Leave your ds in his cot for as long as possible. Our ds is too young to be in a bed really and he's forever wandering about, trying to get into our bed etc. Not to mention the fact I now have no were to put him that he can't escape from.

girlsyearapart Sat 22-Aug-09 19:55:58

Was just wondering this myself as dd1 is 23mo and has turned into an evil sleep demon from hell.
The other day she trotted up to my bed and fell asleep when it has been nothing but screaming in her cotbed.
Had vague thoughts about taking the sides off but have decided against it as don't think it'll help.
From the people I have asked about it the answer seems to be when they can climb out on their own.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Sat 22-Aug-09 19:58:21

18 months here. But she was vaulting the rails and frankly, it was less far to fall from the cotbed than the cotrail so we made the move.

helpYOUiWILL Sun 30-Aug-09 20:06:07

Moved both my boys at the age of 2yrs. Simply because they stay with the grandparents alot and they outgrew the travelcot so thought it would be better that they are used to sleeping in a bed especially when away from home. I wouldnt have done it otherwise. We too have a cot bed and once converted it was close to the floor and i had a bed guard. I put a stairgate on the door to stop any wonderings and i toddler proofed the room eg, tied blind cords up out of reach.

tassisssss Sun 30-Aug-09 20:09:28

dd will be 3 in a fortnight and is still in the cot (had about a month in a bed about 2 motnhs ago but happily back in a cot and sleeping all night, napping for 2 hours so why change it?!)

mybabywakesupsinging Sun 30-Aug-09 22:47:20

Ds1 - no problem, changed to big boy bed with Thomas Duvet On It when we moved house (2.3).
Ds2 is strongly attached to his - may be some time yet...He is the same age.

Meglet Sun 30-Aug-09 22:52:50

DS is 2.9 and still happily in his cot. I'm thinking about taking the sides down at the end of the year, but TBH he has loads of space left in there so might leave it even longer. He naps for 1.5 hours in the day and sleeps all night with no problems so I'm reluctant to change it. He already has a stairgate across his door so when the time comes to go into a bed he won't be able to do anything silly if he gets up in the night.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 30-Aug-09 22:56:24

we've just taken 2.5yo DD's cot sides off, at her request. I was dreading it, but it's been fine. I'm not sure that it's occurred to her that she can now get out!

gladders Tue 01-Sep-09 15:47:28

ds started flinging himself out of his cot aged 23 months - had to change it into a bed before he broke an arm...

dd has just turned 3 and is quite happy where she is. will probably convert it into bed at Xmas.

TheInvisibleHand Tue 01-Sep-09 16:04:20

We did it yesterday - DD is 28 months. Mostly because she was showing signs of climbing over the cot rail (although mostly in rather than out hmm). She got very excited about her big bed. Fell out twice last night, but without any drama - had a mattress on the floor near her and both times found her asleep on the floor.

peppapighastakenovermylife Tue 01-Sep-09 21:13:14

DS is still in his cot at 3.2 years blush.

He loves his cot, has never tried to climb out and seems really secure in there. Most importantly he sleeps well.

He can sleep fine in a bed - if we are away he will sleep in an adult bed no problem.

One of my friends raises her eyebrows a lot about this but is one for saying how advanced her DC is about random things. She took the side off at 13 months old then wondered why he fell out / kept wandering around in the middle of the night hmm

We keep saying we will take it off but never do...

thehairybabysmum Tue 01-Sep-09 21:20:26

Both mine were 22 months...ds1 as we needed he cot, and ds2 because i thought he would start to climb out. I was convinced ds2 would be up and about but he has been fine with it.

preggersplayspop Tue 01-Sep-09 21:27:11

My DS was 16 months when we took the sides off but had only spent a couple of nights in it before that as he hated the sides on the cot and clearly never felt happy in it. Never had any problems with him falling out, its low to the floor anyway and for the first few months we had pillows on the floor to cushion any falls. I think he may have toppled out a couple of times, but I don't think he woke up!

Bizarrely he has only wandered out of it a couple of times when he has woken in the night, normally he just sits up and screams for me or shouts 'mummy, mummy, mummy' until I go and fetch him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now