Talk

Advanced search

DS (6 months) suddenly waking at 4.30am

(4 Posts)
babyignoramus Fri 21-Aug-09 08:34:41

DS has been sleeping through since 3 months (bless him!) - and at the moment a typical day look likes this:

6am - wakes up
6.30am - bottle
7-7.30am - breakfast
nap
midmorning - half bottle - varies as to when this is and he sometimes doesn't bother
11-11.30am - lunch
nap
2-3pm - bottle
5-5.30am - tea
6.30pm - bottle
7-7.30pm - bed

Normally if he wakes early he goes back off if we get him into our bed but these last two days he has woken at 4.30am and needed to feed. I have given him his bottle early and compensated by making sure his mid-morning one is a whole bottle so he doesn't have a really early lunch. He goes straight back to sleep after feeding and wakes at the normal time.
Any ideas as to why he might be waking? I don't think it's the light as it's actually getting darker in the mornings - plus we have moved bedrooms (a few weeks ago before anyone suggest that as a reason!) - and our new one is much darker and quieter. Does it sound like a growth spurt?
I can't decide if it's something I just need to see through or if it's a habit forming IYSWIM.

NB he has really started to fight sleep ATM as well - I think he is geeting wound up and I don't know if that might be a factor?

Thanks in advance - off for nap now, he is sitting in his bouncy chair looking very surly!!

IsItMeOr Fri 21-Aug-09 08:39:20

Sorry, no tips here, as my 5mo wakes twice in a typical night, but watching for advice from others!

Ours has fought sleep for ages though, isn't that just normal and part of them getting more interested in the world/your company?

lilymolly Fri 21-Aug-09 08:42:18

no, but I think it is common.

My 5 month old ds wakes at 5am for a bf then wakes every 1/2 hour after that but we keep stickinh dummy in.

There is NO WAY I am getting up at 6am smile

He does eventually sleep until 7.30am

I think it sounds like a habit, If it were me, I would stop with the bottle and find some other way to soothe him back to sleep.

babyignoramus Fri 21-Aug-09 08:56:03

LOL, Lilymolly. I don't mind getting up early but it's quite nice to have him in bed with us punching me in the mouth gently stroking my face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now