Talk

Advanced search

Dummies???

(11 Posts)
YummyorSlummy Thu 20-Aug-09 14:12:28

My ds is 8 mts old and still using a dummy a lot. Should I be weaning him off it around now? Its so hard not to give it him when he's crying! Does anyone know what the effects are on babies teeth? Will it make them crooked??

mumtoem Thu 20-Aug-09 15:42:49

Dummies seem to be one of those subjects that people can have very definite views about. Personally, I hate the sight of toddlers walking around with one. However I see nothing wrong with a baby the age of your DS having one, or one being used for sleeping up to about 3 years.

I agree, it is really hard to not give the dummy when you know it will stop the crying. My 16 month old DD has a dummy for sleeping and in the car ('cos otherwise she drives me mad). I have found that she will happily go without a dummy the rest of the time if she can't see one. If she sees a dummy she wants it NOW!

I don't see how a dummy can make teeth any more crooked than thumb sucking would. At least you can throw the dummy away eventually.

YummyorSlummy Thu 20-Aug-09 15:59:12

Thats what I was thinking. I never had a dummy as a baby, but was a habitual thumb sucker until the age of about 8 blush!
My bottom teeth are crooked and I think that could be why, a thumb can't be gotten rid of lol.

mumtoem Thu 20-Aug-09 16:14:32

I also think the thumb or dummy can be unfairly blammed for crooked teeth. I sucked my finger and thumb (at the same time) for years and have straight teeth. My sister did not suck her thumb and did not have a dummy and has crooked teeth.

electra Thu 20-Aug-09 16:23:43

My oldest two girls didn't like dummies, but dd3 who is 4 months needs one to get to sleep and she uses it a lot for that at the moment. At 8 months I wouldn't be worried about taking it away yet, unless baby has a preferred method of settling.

TurtleAnn Thu 20-Aug-09 19:38:30

My only dummy concern is that if a child has a dummy in its mouth it cant babble and talk, but for bedtime I am all in favour and use one with mine.

My husband never used a dummy and has unbelievable teeth (very expensive dentist bills), I sucked my thumb for ages and have perfect teeth (no fillings Mum).

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 20-Aug-09 19:53:20

DS1 never had a dummy but when i had ds2 the hospital found one in among his things (he was in scbu) and gave it to him. At first I was a bit peeved BUT then i was informed that dummies actually ARE a benefit to babies.

Here is what I was told (ok i have copied it off of a leaflet i have)

A recent review of evidence relating to the cause and prevention of cot death has found that the use of dummies can halve the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). This has led the Department of Health to recommend that all parents give their newborn baby a dummy when they put them down to sleep.

The government recommended states that a dummy should be offered when baby is put down for a nap (be it in the day or evening) although it should not be forced or coated in anything sweet if the baby doesn't want to accept it. Dummies should not be introduced to breastfed babies until after they reach one month of age to ensure that breastfeeding has been properly established. Additionally, parents should not worry if their baby's dummy falls out whilst he or she is asleep.

DS2 gave his dummy up by himself about 4 or 5 months ago he is 23m now.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 20-Aug-09 19:55:16

Also I was so worried about ds2 having his dummy still that I asked my dentist and he said dummies are fine he personally would not worry unless an 8 yr old walked in with one as this is around the age most start getting the adult teeth.

YummyorSlummy Thu 20-Aug-09 21:21:24

Lol I'll make sure he doesn't have it when he's 8! Thanks for the advice everyone I feel a bit better about it now

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 20-Aug-09 21:23:32

Yummy, you know the worst thing is now ds2 has given his up i miss him having it!

Fruitysunshine Thu 20-Aug-09 21:24:50

My DD had a dummy until she was four. She gave them to me one christmas to give to santa as she felt she was able to cope without them and maybe another little person could use them.

My son stopped when he was two and my youngest daughter nearly 2, does not use them at all. Their teeth are fine.

I don't see the harm, she only ever used them when she was tired or needed comfort and never took them outside, always used them in the house. It was something she came away from in her own time. It is like a blankie, or teddy, it was her way of snuggling down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now