Talk

Advanced search

Shocked at other peoples' rude comments!!!

(45 Posts)
littlemisslozza Thu 20-Aug-09 14:11:27

Just want to let off steam.....
When expecting DC2 (gender unknown throughout pregnancy), was asked in the supermarket by someone I know if we knew if the baby was a boy or a girl. We already have a DS (almost 2). I said 'no, we are having a surprise'. Person said 'what will you do if it's a boy?!!' shock (Send him back????!)
I was so taken aback I just said we'd be happy with either gender, which was the truth.

Neighbour asked the other day if baby had arrived yet, upon the news that yes, it had, and was another DS, she said 'oh dear'. angry

Why are some people so tactless and miserable?! Some people aren't fortunate enough to have children, nevermind the gorgeous healthy little boys I have.

Feel better now!

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 14:14:53

aaargh
Congratulations!
How sad for people that the worst thing they can think of is to have two children of the same sex

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 14:16:02

Well I'm having DC2 in a few weeks and I want one of each to go with the DS I already hvae! But I'm only having one more child so will be overjoyed either way.

Lizzylou Thu 20-Aug-09 14:16:40

Congratulations, I have 2 boys, 2 years apart and they are lovely smile In the main wink

You'll get the "trying for a girl next?" comments soon wink

Tidey Thu 20-Aug-09 14:20:15

How ridiculous. I have a friend who had two girls then had a boy, and someone said 'What a shame, I knew you wouldn't be lucky enough to have a third girl' to her. WTF?

Congratulations on your two boys smile

mumtoem Thu 20-Aug-09 15:32:35

Congratulaions on your two boys. I does amaze me that people are so thoughtless. Whenever I was asked what I was hoping for, I always said "so long as it is either one or the other I don't mind".

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 20-Aug-09 15:35:08

remind them 'its an heir and a spare' grin

KnickKnack Thu 20-Aug-09 15:37:29

I think sometimes people are just just for something chatty to say on the spur of the moment.

If you have 2 boys, you will get a thousand "are you going to try for a girl"

and if you have 1 of each, you will get a thousand "you have a gentleman family now" comments (this is just as wearing when you've heard it for the 1 billionth time!)

KnickKnack Thu 20-Aug-09 15:38:01

love heir and a spare! never heard that one before grin

Whitetara Fri 21-Aug-09 01:23:07

I remember telling my mother we were expecting another girl and her reply was that she hoped we weren't disappointed. I was fuming.

LongtimeinBrussels Fri 21-Aug-09 01:42:30

When ds1 was 9 and ds2 6, I had a missed mc. People said completely inane things like "oh well, you already have two", as if to say it wasn't important that I'd lost one. Because the foetus hadn't miscarried, it was tested once removed and we found out it was a girl (had Turner's syndrome). Then suddenly people were much more sympathetic! So it was only sad because it was a dd? angry

hambler Fri 21-Aug-09 02:16:02

och, they are just making conversation!
Congratulations !

glasgowtomelbourne Fri 21-Aug-09 03:42:24

My next door neighbour commented when I was pregnant with DS:
"Of course, you don't die as much in childbirth these days"! WTFshock.
She is very quite batty!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 21-Aug-09 06:10:46

Congratulationssmile

I have 2 boys, I've had all sorts of questions, normally from strangers when I was pregnant with DS2 and when they were younger.

They are 5 and nearly 7 now and every now and again I still get "will you be trying for a girl?" which drives me nuts.

And on a similar insensitive subject, when I was pregnant with DS2 after some bleeding very early on I had a scan and found out I was expecting twins. Cue a few weeks of shock and joy before our 12 week scan when we found out one of the babies had died.

Several members of our family said "at least you have another one". We were devastated, not least because we'd been told that they didn't know if DS2 would survive or whether I would miscarry him tooangry DS2 did survive thankfully.

Just ignore them and enjoy your boys. I love having both boys, they are the best of friendssmile

Overmydeadbody Fri 21-Aug-09 06:57:51

Oh, how insensitive of those people.

Ignore the silly cows.

And congratulations.

Personally, I love boys and if I had another DC I would hope that it was a boy.

And it makes life easier with passing down clothes and toys and stuff.

racmac Fri 21-Aug-09 07:17:32

I have 3 boys and am always asked if i will be trying for a girl.

When ds3 was born i had many many comments about being disappointed - Id look over at my son and say "disappointed about what?" as though i really had no idea what they were talking about! Some realised then what they were saying was stupid

Ellle Fri 21-Aug-09 09:35:23

Exactly, when people tell you things about "I hope you are not disappointed because it's another boy/girl" just say: Why would I be? That's exactly what I wanted!
Then they look confused and don't know what else to say.

TheCrackFox Fri 21-Aug-09 09:43:16

I've got 2 boys and it is fab. Still get asked if I want a girl. Like you can order babies from a catalogue.

Congratulations! smile

IsItMeOr Fri 21-Aug-09 09:43:35

I am the youngest of four - 3 girls and a boy. Mum tells me people often assumed boy was her youngest, rather than 2nd born. Is clearly weird to some people that you can just love children, which is a shame!

PacificDogwood Fri 21-Aug-09 09:43:49

Congratulations!!

Take no notice, people open their mouths before their brains are engaged grin.

An old lady in our village offer me her condolences on the safe arrival of our healthy DS3 shock, stupid cow!

I am of course now trying for a girl...hmm

abra1d Fri 21-Aug-09 09:45:34

Lucky you, having another lovely little baby boy. I have one of each and the boy is always loving and affectionate.

You're doubly blessed. Ignore the silly people.

missmapp Fri 21-Aug-09 09:49:59

Congratulations, I have two boys and it is fantastic, I do get the 'dont you want to try for a girl ' comments, but I just shrug them off now

littlemisslozza Fri 21-Aug-09 12:06:54

Thanks for all your lovely messages and your congratulations! I know some people just don't think before they speak.

ANother one was when I was about 6 months pregnant and doing the weekly shop(including a pack of beer for DH), checkout woman said 'I didn't know you could drink when you're pregnant'. Pointed out that it was for DH... Is very true that you are public property when pregnant!!!!

Was also asked, by great granny, if I was disappointed that DS2 was a boy shock. Just said 'of course not' in amazement and she said nothing further. Think she may have been hoping for a girl...

Firawla Fri 21-Aug-09 12:12:32

oh just ignore them they are probably thoughtless but not meaning to offend

i have ds1 & expecting ds2, got some of the same comments like oh dont u want a girl? i just say no im happy with it.
its nice two of the same close in age to play with each other, i think it prob works out for the best whatever you have. and it doesn't mean u can never have one of the other gender in the future so i dont get the big deal

babyignoramus Fri 21-Aug-09 12:31:39

littlemisslozza - I bought some whiskey for a friend at Christmas when I was 7 months pregnant - and got ID'd!! What that must have looked like I dread to think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now