Talk

Advanced search

Suffering with morning (ALL DAY) sickness...am I rubbish for having cbeebies on morning till night??

(17 Posts)
gypsymoon Thu 20-Aug-09 12:00:32

Can't eat, can't move - except to rush to the bathroom or find something generally unhealthy - cos it's quick - for my DDcs to eat....

This has been going on for 3 weeks now, and from experience I've got another 5 weeks to go.

Fortunately I have some amazing friends who have taken both girls out to play most days. But today I've got DD2 with me who is not yet 2 and cbeebies is her only entertainment. Can't even read her a story, as talking makes me throw up...I sound so pathetic...

How did others manage with children while in the throes of this misery??? Worse still, I'm regretting this pregnancy and wish we'd waited....sad

corblimeymadam Thu 20-Aug-09 12:04:48

Message withdrawn

cocolepew Thu 20-Aug-09 12:06:27

I had it on all the time even when there was nothing wrong with me, didn't have any adverse effect on the DDs at all.
Hope you feel better.

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 12:09:25

I rely on it far too much sometimes and try to make up for it on other days. That's what it's there for - to use when you genuinely can't do anything else.
Only thing that would worry me is will this affect your DD2's sleep?

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 20-Aug-09 12:10:45

Go with the flow. But the acupressure wristbands helped me a lot with my all day sickness that lasted for 5 months.

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 12:10:54

Just re-read that and it didn't come across how it should. I meant I think it's fine when you're ill! And to a varying degree when you're really busy or have something that urgently needs doing.
What I worry about in my case is it becoming a habit - it's so easy to use it to make tea / MN etc that I ahve to consciously stop myself.

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 12:11:54

yes, hope your sickness is over soon I had it really badly with DS but he was my first so all I had to do was look after myself. This time I've been lucky - don't know how I would cope if I'd had it badly again.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 20-Aug-09 12:14:46

I was the same when pregnant with DS2 - don't beat yourself up! the girls are getting out to play most days, and in the grand scheme of things some days of telly here and there don't harm anyone.

Take care of yourself and enjoy some peaceful time - Ds1 used to like lying on the sofa with me and cuddling when I was feeling rubbish - he'd watch Cbeebies and I'd doze and it would be a lovely bonding time even though I felt like I wanted to die grin

sheeplikessleep Thu 20-Aug-09 12:18:44

gypsymoon - are you me?
i don't know how people manage. as soon as i reluctantly wake in the morning, i am thinking of bedtime and trying not to be sick all day. tv is there for this reason. it's only temporary. i say do whatever gets you through the day.
i sympathise sad

gypsymoon Thu 20-Aug-09 12:19:34

StealthBear you have just cleared something up that has been bothering me for the past week and a half....

DD2's sleep has been affected quite noticeably. She's never been a brill sleeper but it's been pretty bad lately and now I know why....Crap.

The lack of sleep obviously makes me feel worse and to cap it all off, we moved house only 3 weeks ago (just as the ms started) and moved DD2 into her own room at the same time -we've always co-slept....

Ugh...it's as though I've actively contributed to my downfall!

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 12:25:35

so sorry. Does she still sleep in the day? Can you try to cut that down?
I tend to find DS needs some time outside every day (even if it's just walking round an outdoor shopping centre, and preferably in the afternoon. When he was tiny he could sleep all day and his nights weren't affected but as he's got older he definitely needs wearing out.
Would you feel up to going out for a walk? Or do you have a garden where you could sit and she could kick a ball?
Sorry, I have no idea what it's like to have sickness that badly - well I do as DH and I had a D&V bug when DS was about 22months. MIL came and got him as we were incapable of doing anything at all! At least that lasted 24 hours.

gypsymoon Thu 20-Aug-09 12:40:45

She still has a nap during the day - it's a blessed relief at the moment though as I need one too!

Just spoke to my doc whose prescribing stemetol??? Have never really used pharmeceuticals - certainly never in pregnancy. But am inclined to take the medication...

Anyone taken it/know anything??

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 12:45:52

I've taken it and had a bad reaction to it, sorry. I was having loads of it though (meningitis) and think it was a 'normal' reaction to it building up in my body rather than anything to do with me. Maybe something to ask about but not a reason not to take it I don't think.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Thu 20-Aug-09 13:07:56

I bought ds a doctor's kit and used to get him to look after me while I lay on the sofa as his patient. If dd1 started it, would dd2 play along?

gypsymoon Thu 20-Aug-09 13:29:10

Nothing quite so effective as changing the channel! She's cooking now - maybe that's the answer. She's at the age where she's easily distracted. Thanks for all the support and advice - much appreciated

davidla Fri 21-Aug-09 17:06:37

In answer the the OP's question: No!
My wife had bad morning sickness (at one point she had to stay in the hospital on a drip for 4 days) - and of course she wasn't in a position to look after our DS properly.
Don't worry about it - I'm sure your kids wwill grow up to be perfectly fine adults!

iwantitnow Fri 21-Aug-09 19:06:50

i had morning, well all day sickness from conception until about 2 weeks before my due date and had a 2 year old, who had no naps. Use cbeebies, i put my DD in pre-school a couple of terms earlier than planned, take any help you can get, jigsaws, reading books all done while lying down. I did try the medication but it gave me insomnia. I tried everything for the sickness but nothing helped. It is very hard, but you will feel wonderful when its gone. Tiredness definitely made it worse, but I know its difficult to rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now