Talk

Advanced search

Unhappy napper / cranial osteopathy

(7 Posts)
EmsWhite Wed 19-Aug-09 08:36:53

My little one screams himself into a frenzy during the day when he's tired and I can only get him to nap in his pushchair. Any tips for getting him to nap in his cot? Has anyone had experience of cranial osteopathy, would this help? Should I just accept pushchair napping? Lots of questions, but first try on mumsnet!

slayerette Wed 19-Aug-09 08:48:47

Welcome to MN!

My DS was an unhappy newborn - cried a lot, wouldn't settle and so on. We went for cranial osteopathy in the end (out of desperation!) and it made a big difference. DS had got stuck for three-quarters of an hour during labour - my pushing wasn't moving him down the birth canal - and the osteopath said that he still hadn't 'straightened out' from this experience.

After the first session, DS fell fast asleep as we left the osteopath and had the deepest soundest sleep he'd had in his short life!

At 6 he is now the sunniest little boy and a very good sleeper!

It's not a miracle cure though - I did have to use <whispers> controlled crying to help him settle to naps in his cot which may or may not be a route you want to go down. But the osteopathy helped him become a much happier baby overall. Before it, he would cry even when he was in his pram for no apparent reason and it did cure that.

slayerette Wed 19-Aug-09 08:50:11

Just read that back - he wasn't in his pram for no apparent reason, obviously! He would cry for no apparent reason whilst in there! grin

EmsWhite Wed 19-Aug-09 09:01:51

Thanks for response, how old was your boy when you first took him to the osteo? We're over 4 months now so not sure if this would be the way to go.

slayerette Wed 19-Aug-09 14:25:50

I can't remember to be honest but I am sure four months is not too late. DS certainly wasn't brand brand new when we went. You could perhaps ask your health visitor or GP for their advice.

cocolepew Wed 19-Aug-09 14:28:33

I highly recommend it,4 months is fine to take him.

lynniep Wed 19-Aug-09 14:34:43

I actually wish we'd tried co when DS was little - I might not have spent so much time awake during the night, exhausted during the day and so much money on petrol (I still have to drive him to sleep to nap and he's 2.5!)

He could never go to sleep without me helping him during the day - he'd just lie there and scream for what seemed like hours (probably not that long as I couldnt stand it for that long) until I rocked him/took him out in pram/car. I spent hours sitting with him patting and shushing and not getting anywhere (this did work in the end at nighttime when he was completely knackered)

God I hope this next one is easier smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now