Talk

Advanced search

grizzling v crying

(6 Posts)
hairband Tue 18-Aug-09 20:31:51

This might sound like a really dumb question - but how can you differentiate between grizzling that you can leave as opposed to crying that you must go to? My baby is very noisy - and I'm stuck at when to go to him or not... sometimes he makes little cries which settle and I wonder whether or not I should have gone in to him....

reikizen Wed 19-Aug-09 10:02:25

I suppose the only answer is go to him if YOU want to, and it depends what you are doing at the time! There is no rule, I pretty much comforted my two whenever I felt they needed it. New babies cannot be spoiled, they are made to be cuddled in my opinion. If he is sort of grizzling and you are in the shower don't rush to grab him up but if he is going purple and screaming at the top of his lungs he needs sorting! It's very hard isn't it, but at the end of the day there are very few right and wrongs in parenting, just what is right for you.

hairband Thu 20-Aug-09 08:38:11

Thanks - you are right, it is a very personal thing - that's what makes it so confusing!
Just seem to worry that I might not be doing it "right" at the moment!

MumofSoJo Thu 20-Aug-09 11:11:15

Hey worrying about whether youre doing the right thing is just part of being a parent. I agree, it all comes down to how you feel. You do what is best for you. Some babies need lots of comforting and others dont. My DD needed lots of attention as a baby and just grizzled all the time. My DS on the other hand was a very content baby and once fed, settled for hours on end. As time goes on you will be more confident and know what needs attention straight away and what can wait a few minutes. Good luck!wink

hairband Thu 20-Aug-09 13:52:40

thank you! Feeling so unconfident at the moment about everything - he is 7 weeks but was premature, and long awaited...... and learning by trial and error while stuck home alone is hard.. though sure I am not the first person who has felt this way; today it's lack of eating that's the current worry.. have been posting lots on breastfeeding thread for reassurance!

reikizen Thu 20-Aug-09 17:02:26

Oh yes, there is no end to what you can worry about but my two have turned out ok despite my incompetence!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now