Talk

Advanced search

worth splashing out on a phil & ted's at this stage?

(11 Posts)
bethdivine Tue 18-Aug-09 15:57:14

DD is 18wks, DS is 2.6yrs. We didn't bother buying a double buggy as have a 3-wheeler for DS and baby bjorn for DD. Now however, I'm wondering whether it's worth splashing out on a phil & ted's or similar, as DS shows no signs of giving up the pram anytime soon and as much as I love carrying DD, I'd also like to get her used to going in the pram. I like to get out most days for a long walk (well, as long as DS will allow these days!) so would mainly be using it locally rather than when I pop out with the car, then I'd just stick to the carrier and DS is happy to walk then.

I suppose I'm wondering if I'd get much use out of it now, given that I didn't buy it 18wks ago - more fool me!!! when do toddlers start really refusing to go out in a pram?
TIA.

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 18-Aug-09 16:00:55

Yes, definitely!
We didn't get ours till ds was 9 months old and it just became too difficult to carry him and whilst pushing dd in a buggy, but we've had loads of use out of it. And you can always resell it if you don't use it much.

JustcallmeDog Tue 18-Aug-09 16:02:22

Message withdrawn

bethdivine Tue 18-Aug-09 16:05:37

ooh,thanks for replying so quickly. DH actually suggested it last night, and said we could go shopping on the weekend, as I've been struggling a bit with the 2 to manage and he thought it would make my life easier, I just didn't realise they're so expensive!

JustcallmeDog Tue 18-Aug-09 16:08:56

Message withdrawn

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 18-Aug-09 16:10:33

My dh didn't want to get one because he couldn't see how any baby-related item could be worth £400 (I think it was?) but I put my foot down and MIL insisted on paying anyway. He has totally recanted now and said it's the best thing we've ever bought.

TessOfTheDullvilles Tue 18-Aug-09 16:11:39

I bought my P&T on ebay. It's hardly been used and looks like new but I only paid half the full price. I should be able to sell it on again for a similar price when I've finished with it, so not really "splashing out" at all! (though DH doesn't necessarily see it that way wink)

lynniep Tue 18-Aug-09 16:12:02

I just did (and DS2 isn't here yet!) DS will be 2.8 when he arrives, and I'm going to be walking him to nursery. I cannot face trying to walk him there (he's not one for keeping to route, shall we say), and he'll be too tired to walk on the way home.

I also think that its a bit of a long walk for me to take a newborn in a carrier/sling (will take me about 30-40 minutes return journey) so I got an old one on ebay. It still cost me £140, but got things like raincovers and carrycot thrown in. Tried it with DS at the weekend and he seems happy enough.

Its also not massive in the boot which I was a bit worried about, which is great for day trips.

FlyMeToDunoon Tue 18-Aug-09 16:19:45

I say yes too.
You will get a lot of use out of it yet and even if DC1 starts walking a lot more can convert to the single.

bethdivine Tue 18-Aug-09 16:25:41

oh brill, thanks so much for all the speedy replies.

Greatfun Tue 18-Aug-09 20:43:23

I say yes too. There is a new model out which means the E3 and sport are going fairly cheap second hand. I have a 2.5 year age gap and my yougest is 18 months now and I use it everyday. I don't tend to use it so much as a double now as DD is nearly 4 so walking more but I always bring the small seat just in case. What we tend to do more of is use the hood as a seat for DD as she likes to see out or she hops in and out of the back seat. Even though really she shouldn't as the heavier child should be on the top seat. I also like it as a single buggy and use the spare seat for carrying shopping etc. Its been very useful for the school summer holidays for carrying picnics and general stuff. It it also possible to attach a buggy board but personally I found it too uncomfortable to walk with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now