Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Problems connecting with DD - anyone else been through this and out the other side?

(4 Posts)
bikeandbird Tue 18-Aug-09 08:26:56

I have 2 DC, a DS 3 and DD coming up to nine months.
I have been through the ringer since DD was born, anxiety and depression and worrying feelings about my daughters development. I have been seeing a psychologist with DD for about 3 months now and it is helping to get to the cause of the problem and I guess the crux of it, which is that since she was born I have not felt connected to her.
Sometimes are worse than others, but in the bad moments it feels like a very dark place to be and I have wanted to just run away.
I feel so very sad and disappointed that this has been our experience as one thing that is certain, I have never doubted my love for her (it is actually quite overwhelming), it just feels like there is a wall between us and I can't reach her.
I was wondering if anyone else had been through similar and come out the other side?
Do you get to a point where things are natural and normal and you don't spend every moment thinking about how your interactions have been and whether that was a good one or a bad one etc.
I know everyones experience is different, I am just needing a few words of encouragement at the moment.
Thanks.

morningsun Tue 18-Aug-09 09:12:19

Hi bikeandbird.
I think it sounds like the anxiety and depression have affected your emotions a little bit ~ as the depression lifts,your actual feelings will return,feeling sad,happy etc[instead of just worried and down].
You will get to a point definitely where things are natural and normal and feel like "you" again.
I really hope you feel better soon and well done for doing your utmost to sort it despite how you have been feeling

xx

Pitchounette Tue 18-Aug-09 09:26:46

Message withdrawn

bikeandbird Tue 18-Aug-09 13:43:38

Thanks for the replies. It is hopeful to hear that when my depression lifts, my true self should come through.
It's funny, PND has never been diagnosed which means that I feel there is either something fundamentally wrong me or DD. Knowing that it might be PND causing this lifts a weight TBH.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: