Talk

Advanced search

Problems connecting with DD - anyone else been through this and out the other side?

(4 Posts)
bikeandbird Tue 18-Aug-09 08:26:56

I have 2 DC, a DS 3 and DD coming up to nine months.
I have been through the ringer since DD was born, anxiety and depression and worrying feelings about my daughters development. I have been seeing a psychologist with DD for about 3 months now and it is helping to get to the cause of the problem and I guess the crux of it, which is that since she was born I have not felt connected to her.
Sometimes are worse than others, but in the bad moments it feels like a very dark place to be and I have wanted to just run away.
I feel so very sad and disappointed that this has been our experience as one thing that is certain, I have never doubted my love for her (it is actually quite overwhelming), it just feels like there is a wall between us and I can't reach her.
I was wondering if anyone else had been through similar and come out the other side?
Do you get to a point where things are natural and normal and you don't spend every moment thinking about how your interactions have been and whether that was a good one or a bad one etc.
I know everyones experience is different, I am just needing a few words of encouragement at the moment.
Thanks.

morningsun Tue 18-Aug-09 09:12:19

Hi bikeandbird.
I think it sounds like the anxiety and depression have affected your emotions a little bit ~ as the depression lifts,your actual feelings will return,feeling sad,happy etc[instead of just worried and down].
You will get to a point definitely where things are natural and normal and feel like "you" again.
I really hope you feel better soon and well done for doing your utmost to sort it despite how you have been feeling

xx

Pitchounette Tue 18-Aug-09 09:26:46

Message withdrawn

bikeandbird Tue 18-Aug-09 13:43:38

Thanks for the replies. It is hopeful to hear that when my depression lifts, my true self should come through.
It's funny, PND has never been diagnosed which means that I feel there is either something fundamentally wrong me or DD. Knowing that it might be PND causing this lifts a weight TBH.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now