Talk

Advanced search

Do your DC ask before putting tv on?

(52 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Sun 16-Aug-09 14:20:57

Mine have always asked, but I have just found they have helped themselves to tvshock.

Am I 'Controling Mum' or are they 'Wayward Children'?

I'm not sure I like this!

IdontliveinaYurt Sun 16-Aug-09 14:22:22

Mine ask
I dont always say yes - in fact I often say No!
I often say 'maybe later'

Mean mummy that I am

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 16-Aug-09 14:23:02

<<stands in mean corner with Yurt>>

IdontliveinaYurt Sun 16-Aug-09 14:24:06

We are alone PT

TeamEdward Sun 16-Aug-09 14:24:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 16-Aug-09 14:25:11

We could have t shirts made - a pic of a tv with a line through it and 'mean mum' printed underneath

Nighbynight Sun 16-Aug-09 14:27:02

No, mine don't ask. They live here, you see, so they can use the tv without having to ask first.

Mind you, I don't ask them before I inform them that it's bed time, and turn it off either.

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 16-Aug-09 14:28:28

NighbyNigh - do you live in a democratic household shock

JackieNo Sun 16-Aug-09 14:29:01

Mine do, rather to the surprise of a couple of DD's friends who were round a while ago - 'you mean you have to ask before you put the telly on shock?'.

Nighbynight Sun 16-Aug-09 14:33:45

Fairly democraticgrin. Actually, I remove the tv aerial comletely during school terms, because I have 3 school age children who get loads of homework, and there's always someone who hasnt done it.

But during the holidays they are free to fill their heads with as much rubbish tv as they like. I am out at work all day, so it helps that tv is a luxury for them.

At weekends during the holidays, I relentlessly take them out to places of historical interest and outstanding natural beauty, to wean them off the tv. (We are just on our way out to pick blackberries in the mountains).

JackieNo Sun 16-Aug-09 14:35:15

lol at 'relentlessly' taking them out, nighbynight grin.

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 16-Aug-09 14:35:19

Aha - so you social engineer your household so they cannot watch more than your prescribed amount of tv anyway!

No more democratic than here then grin

Nighbynight Sun 16-Aug-09 14:37:09

grin
in practise, I have to engineer my household around my job, and 10 hour per day absences. These little traditions like children asking permission to turn the tv on have by necessity to go out of the window.

poopscoop Sun 16-Aug-09 18:14:59

nobody asks they just do it but if i feel defiant, i will turn it off again.

seeker Sun 16-Aug-09 18:31:57

Yes - but they don't ask before they get themselves a snack or use the phone or have a shower. I think the TV is the only thing I insist on the asking about.

yes they ask
and they ask before they get a snack, use the shower, phone, pc...

katylou25 Sun 16-Aug-09 18:48:46

yep and I often say no - mean mummy t-shirt wearing here!

seeker Sun 16-Aug-09 18:52:17

When do they stop having to ask permission to do stuff?

slayerette Sun 16-Aug-09 18:54:13

Mine asks but then he is only 6 - don't know what will happen as he gets older! He asks for snacks as well and sweets/chocolate from party bags, etc goes into his 'chocolate tin' which is kept on a high shelf and doled out at intervals. I am a very mean mummy!

I let him play with his toys without asking first though grin

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 16-Aug-09 19:02:12

Mine ask if they can have the tv on, wii, the computer, a snack.

They know not to ask for chocolate or sweetswink

They are only 5 and nearly 7 though.

If they didn't have to ask DS1 would spend all day in front of the tv/wii and DS2 would spend all day eating.

<<control freak emoticon>>

seeker Sun 16-Aug-09 19:39:47

I've been puzzled before by this idea that children have to behave like visitors in their own houses! There was a thread a while ago about not letting them into their bedrooms during the day. Like a really crummy B and B!

bradsmissus Sun 16-Aug-09 19:58:19

Mine don't ask but that doesn't mean I let them watch hours of TV.

seeker
my kids are only 9,4 and 2

if they didn't ask first and therefore I could choose whether what they want to do is a good idea for them then they would eat chocolate all day and watch tv all day

bellavita Sun 16-Aug-09 20:13:52

Mine don't ask to put the tv on, they are not lodgers... and yes they know not to watch it all day.

They are 12 and 10.

Polgara2 Sun 16-Aug-09 20:13:59

Yes, they have to ask to put the tv on and the wii, pc, snacks - in fact most things! I am obviously a very controlling, mean mummy! Actually, no I am just in charge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now