Talk

Advanced search

swimming with eczema?

(4 Posts)
jen93 Fri 27-May-05 09:49:29

is it a good idea to take a baby with eczema swimming? dd is 7 months old and i am desperate to take her swimming but am unsure if it is a good idea or not.

fastasleep Fri 27-May-05 09:53:13

My DS gets eczema, it's not always severe though, it flares up if something irritates it (which can be anything!) I take him swimming, it seems to make his skin drier but not redder, I always make sure to shower him off at the pool and then bath him later and put some cream on him. I think you just have to try and see how it affects her

misdee Fri 27-May-05 09:56:35

grease her up before you go in.

was recommended to use eurcerin on my dd after swimming.

SoftFroggie Fri 27-May-05 10:01:32

DS2 has eczema, and I take him swimming - the first time I thought I'll try it and see what happens - if it's bad he'll get over it, and if it's fine I can take him again. I smothered him in cream before we got in (NOT a good idea, very slippery); shower him well afterwards, smother in cream before dressing and bath him at home with his bath-oil. His back reacts a bit, but not too badly, and he SO enjoys the swimming session, laughing the whole time, we've kept going each week. I don't cream him all over before going in now as he is too slippery, but do cream his face and head before getting in as that's where his worst eczema is.

In general it's NOT recommended, but I felt that his eczema was generally under control and I'd go along and see what happens. He was 4 months old when ww started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now