Talk

Advanced search

WHY ?? TELL ME WHY MY DD (5) IS ALWAYS BEHAVING BADLY EVERYTIME WE INVITE ONE OF HER FRIENDS AT HOME ???

(10 Posts)
IMGOINGTOGIVEUPCIGS Fri 14-Aug-09 18:16:25

We had a friend of my dd around this afternoon, my dd behaved like a brat, upseting the other little girl..She was so bossy, being very demanding...I dont understand really, when she goes to other people's house, everybody tells me how good she has been..

Now she is screaming because I denied her a couple of sweets..I'm right not to give in ?? I have been warning her all afternoon..when I said to her that her friend was upset and wouldnt want to come again at our house, she rolled her eyes at me and said well you know I dont mind...Why is she like this ? Is there something I'm missing ?? She was so looking forward to have this little girl with us..why is she like this ???

juuule Fri 14-Aug-09 18:19:51

Because she's 5. Because she's on her home ground. Because she's excited. Because she thinks she might get away with things while her friend is there that she wouldn't otherwise.
Don't invite any friends round until she gets a bit older and calms down. Test the water now and again by inviting her friends but remind her that she should behave well or they won't come again.

Summerfruit Fri 14-Aug-09 18:22:41

I'm going to do that, I cant cope with her behaviour..it's so upsetting...No more playdate until she calms down..Thank you !!

alittlebitshy Fri 14-Aug-09 18:30:10

see my thread just above yours. you;re not alone!!!!

KembleTwins Fri 14-Aug-09 18:31:54

My mum would say "she's showing off". I remember it well from being a child myself... Am sure your DD will grow out of it. Am equally sure most 5 year olds do exactly the same. Don't worry!

alittlebitshy Fri 14-Aug-09 18:35:41

my dd (6) had a screaming tanatrum this afternoon with a friend over. I am very very ashamed right now

Summerfruit Fri 14-Aug-09 18:37:37

alittle-I have seen your thread, same situation..its so hard to deal with situation like this sometimes. All I wanted for her, was to have fun with her friends..I have provided nice food, entertainement..but no that was not good enough sad

Kemble - I would have behaved the way dd behaved, I would have got a clip round the ear..I'm going to stop worrying and also stop having friends around the house for a while..

Miggsie Fri 14-Aug-09 19:11:48

DD has a friend and every time DD has been over the other child ends up on the naughty step, or sent to her room.

Her mother is in despair, she always says "why does she ask for her friends to come over and then act so badly?" I have noticed that the more polite my DD is and the more attention she gets from the other mum, the worse the other child's behaviour is. So I took it to be a mix of jealousy and over excitement.
I rake DD home and then she is a total monster...!

When her friend comes over I stay completely away from them (I'm in the next room earwigging but they don't know that)...the minute I gave them attention all the behaviour was bad.

Miggsie Fri 14-Aug-09 19:12:22

...ooops, before you think I am some kind of monster... I TAKE DD home, not rake her home!

maybebaby23 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:01:57

I have the same problem with my DD who is a bit younger at 3.5. She is a total monster when her friend comes to play at our house, it's so embarassing at times and i don't like her bossy/nasty/annoying behaviour towards this child at all. Whenever we go to another child's house DD is an angel, she really is very good. I don't understand it either but when i spoke to one of my friends she said its because at our house DD is in her own territory and kind of acts up to this, thinking she can get away with things as she is in her safe environment if you see what i mean? Other than that i have no idea why they do it. I know i would have been in big trouble for this when i was a child!! No matter what i say or do though, my DD won't behave or play nicely when her friend comes round You are not alone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now