Talk

Advanced search

Help!!!!!!

(27 Posts)
bubble99 Thu 26-May-05 19:35:04

Elijah is 13 weeks old today and has been sleeping in a cot for the last few days. We've been finding it really difficult to settle him. This evening I bathed, fed and winded him and he fell asleep in Mr Bubbles arms. As soon as we put him into his cot he woke up and started crying. I've just been into his room and as soon as he saw me he stopped crying and started smiling. As soon as I left the room he started crying again. My instinct is to let him cry as I know there's nothing wrong as he was smiling a few minutes ago. It's been five years since our last DS was a baby and I've forgotten everything. Any thoughts/advice would be very welcome.

MarsLady Thu 26-May-05 19:39:14

the cot was probably cold. The sheet I mean. The DTs do this to us as well.

If he smiles when he sees you then no talking to the wee darling etc but stand there for a while until he resettles.

Big kiss for footle, but not whilst you're trying to settle him.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 26-May-05 19:41:04

if he usually sleeps OK then maybe just stay in the room (without looking at him) till he settles. that's what I'd do. If it's looking like a habit then leave him...

bubble99 Thu 26-May-05 19:41:54

Should I go in again then or leave him? I've been in twice and he's smiled both times. He's still crying now and it's been 5 minutes. I don't want to be heartless but equally I don't want to get him into the habit of not settling on his own.

MarsLady Thu 26-May-05 19:44:38

weak as dishwater me. I think you go back in without saying or doing anything. Then when he stops you go out again for a longer time.

hunkermunker Thu 26-May-05 19:44:42

DS was like this - we used to warm the moses basket up with a hot water bottle first - just to take the chill off.

When he was big enough for a cot, he went into grobags and they're as good as people say - is he in a baby sleeping bag? That way he's all snuggly when you put him in the cot already and the chilliness doesn't affect him as much.

Big hugs for Footle xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hunkermunker Thu 26-May-05 19:45:45

He's too young for bad habits, Bubble - DS is 13mo and I've only just started being tough with him. Well, sometimes...

LGJ Thu 26-May-05 19:46:21

Oh honey I don't know what to suggest, DS is 4 and I have only vague recollections of what to do.

bubble99 Thu 26-May-05 19:46:52

HM. I'll get the grobag now and try and resettle him again. Oh, hang on, he's calming down........No, he's off again.

LGJ Thu 26-May-05 19:47:15

Phone rang

Should have checked before I posted

bubble99 Thu 26-May-05 19:48:21

You're right HM. I'm a horrible Victorian mum. I'm going in....cover me

hunkermunker Thu 26-May-05 19:49:40

You're not a horrible Victorian mum - you're fabby. And what I probably should've said was "I've only just started making DH be tough with DS" - I've been far more capable of it than him for months now!

bubble99 Thu 26-May-05 20:59:10

Well, the boob thing worked and he's fast asleep.....on our bed. For the sake of a happy baby and a quiet life I'll go with the flow for now, I think.

neasels Thu 26-May-05 21:23:10

It's so hard isn't it, especially hearing them cry. My ds is now 10 months and during his 4 weeks it woUld take up to 4 hours to settle him! He would only sleep in our arms and crY as soon as we put him in his cot. After this we decided to get tough and use controlled crying. we started at 5 mins, then went to 10 and the professional advice was to go as long as 20 mins, but no longer, which seemed like a life time! He cried, we cried, but it so worked out. We haven't had a disturbed night since he was 16 weeks and he settles himself at 6.30pm for bedtime and by doing this he also settles himself for his morning and lunch time nap. I won't pretend it was easy though!!! I'll be interested in how you get on..

bubble99 Thu 26-May-05 21:36:14

Thanks neasels. He's asleep now but I needed to let him comfort suck to do so. I'll see how we get on tomorrow.

hub2dee Thu 26-May-05 22:00:46

Would it be asking for trouble / ignorant / flame baiting to suggest he comfort suck on a dummy ?

Or are they The Beginning of The End ?

Evesmama Thu 26-May-05 22:03:29

my dd took herself off dummies before she was two!
didnt like them, but the poor things need something to reply on in the wee hours!

try putting an item of your worn clothingnear him, under his shet, to see if your 'smell' settles him?

neasels Fri 27-May-05 07:05:58

I found a dummy for my ds such a help! Why suffer both yourself and your children in those early weeks? I took the dummy away when he was nearly 4 months and he didn't make much of a fuss. I had to entertain him alot more for a couple of days and then it was over. I would so use one again. My ds has a cloth bunny which he has had since birth and if he needs to sucK something, which becomes less and less, he chews on it's ear. I don't understand why there is such snobery, for use of a better word around dummies. I think they are GREAT!!

Lovecat Fri 27-May-05 14:25:10

I'd agree about the grobags, dd has been in them for naps and night-times since she was 6 weeks old and she goes down happy and snuggly, esp. after her night-time feed - however, she has cottoned on that being put into her grobag in daylight means beddy-byes and will begin to grumble the minute I put her arms in - however, as soon as she's in her cot she mutters a bit then is out like a light. If you've got a TK Maxx near you check them out for grobags, they often have them for sale a lot cheaper than elsewhere (£12 compared with £25!)

I've never been able to settle dd down just by standing in the room, I've always had to pick her up and cuddle if she starts crying, so I'm afraid I've no advice there... good luck

bubble99 Fri 27-May-05 23:35:24

Thanks all. He settled OK tonight in his cot. I've raised the top end slightly on a couple of books. Very scientific, the raising, not the books. He's spent the last couple of weeks with me at our nursery and I've noticed he's more tired in the evenings (except last night of course)
I don't have any issues with dummies, except for 6 year olds and I've tried one before but he just looks confused and spits it out after a couple of goes.
Thanks for your help/advice.

Flossam Fri 27-May-05 23:39:05

Bubble, I gave DS a dummy. He was confused too at first but I kept trying, mainly because he did find it helped him to get off to sleep. Now he has found his thumb properly and uses that sometimes when he needs extra comfort. Hasn't had a dummy for getting on for two months (he's six months old now). Just wanted you to know that giving Elijah a dummy dosen't mean he'll have it untill he's a toddler!! How are you BTW?

bubble99 Fri 27-May-05 23:45:32

Much better today Floss, thanks I hit a particularly bad patch a couple of days ago.

Flossam Fri 27-May-05 23:48:44

I see your TTC. I hope it happens super fast for you and everything goes well for you. If anyone deserves it, it must be you! you are inspirational.

bubble99 Fri 27-May-05 23:51:46

TTC yes, but I'm still waiting for AF. I'm still BF exclusively though I'll be starting Elijah on some solids in a couple of weeks time. Never thought I'd be glad to have AF back.

bubble99 Fri 27-May-05 23:54:03

And how are you Floss? Are you in a sweaty part of the country?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now