Talk

Advanced search

HELP - need inspiration for play this afternoon!!

(8 Posts)
Spink Fri 14-Aug-09 14:28:19

It is rainy and grim, and I'm reaching the end of my rope - ds is 2.5 and dd is 7 months and we might well be eating each other out of boredom in an hour or so. We've been out to the park in the rain this morning, stuck big sheets of paper on the walls and painted, and ds has helped get lunch ready. Now he is napping and I have no idea what to do when he wakes up.

Afternoons over the last few days have been hellish and I am gutted to say I'm dreading this one. I'd be really grateful for any ideas..

bubblagirl Fri 14-Aug-09 14:43:27

play doh, bowl of water with cups and toys , rice in cups make musical instruments,

some free play with cars

Pwsimerimew Fri 14-Aug-09 14:47:22

Please feel free to come over to my house. DD who's 9yrs would love to play with your munchkins. ( and stop hasseling me) and we could get to know each other over a cuppa and a slice of Victoria Sbonge.

Spink Fri 14-Aug-09 14:56:02

you see, tea and cake while the small ones entertain themselves sounds so so so perfect!
We've jsut moved house and I don't know anyone here - am starved of adult company, so your offer is doubly great..

bubblagirl - do you know if it's easy to make your own playdoh? ds has eaten <bleurgh> most of his, or posted it through gaps..

bubblagirl Fri 14-Aug-09 15:08:17

* 1 cup flour
* 3/4 cup salt
* 3/4 to 1 cup water
* A few drops of food colouring
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix all the ingredients and knead until smooth. Play doh can be covered and kept in the refrigerator for later use.

i use this recipe very easy indeed

peanutpie Fri 14-Aug-09 15:19:38

We made pasta/rice/lentil glue pictures the other day which was quite good fun.

Another thing that kept my 2.5 yr old amused by was washing up all the plates & things from his kitchen. I put a bowl on the kitchen floor and gave him a cloth.

Making a den from quilts & chairs & stuff? All the toys can go in with them.

Also, the kids next door to us are into to playing bedtimes with pillow, blanket and some toys.

robino Fri 14-Aug-09 15:34:32

Ah, I posted similar in chat this morning! DDs 2.5 and 1 are just having a very bubbly bath. Having said that DD1 is exhausted and throwing a paddy so think I'll end up sticking cbeebies on. She's recently given up her nap, refuses to even lie down with a blanket at lunch and as a result is vile and exhausted come mid afternoon. I'm feeling your pain smile

Spink Fri 14-Aug-09 19:31:50

robino grin oh yes the pain! glad to hear I'm not alone, not that I'm wishing the pain on anyone of course..!

thanks for the playdoh recipe - will try that tomorrow I think.

We made a lovely pasta lentil picture, and then I had TO LEAVE THE HOUSE so we went to a sheep farm down the road, didn't know it existed but thank goodness for the internet superhighway. That was great until a large sheep meh-ed very loudly behind ds and he dissolved in tears. He has been a shivering wreck since.. I think rebuilding his positive sheep associations may take a while.

ah. and now for a glass of wine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now