Talk

Advanced search

Cot or Moses basket? What did your newborns use?

(15 Posts)
shoesies Wed 12-Aug-09 09:47:09

I'm due in November with 1st baby and I'm trying to get organised! Our bedroom has very limited space and I had been planning to put a cot in the nursery for when he was ready to move to his own room and use a moses basket next to our bed for him to begin with. I've recently heard about babies who didn't 'take' to them and didn't sleep in them (moses basket)... Does anyone have experience of this? What did your baby sleep in when he/she was tiny? Help appreciated smile

Tortington Wed 12-Aug-09 09:54:37

MB in living room

cot in bedroom

there wasn't invented those cots where the sides come down - when mine were babies - bt if i had to do it all again

id get one of those at the sode of the bed

skinnyontheinside Wed 12-Aug-09 09:55:40

dd1 slept in my bed because she didnt take to a moses basket or a cot

dd2 (9 weeks) sleeps in a moses basket, I tried her in her cot last week and she just wouldnt settle, but she still has plenty of room in the basket. When she was first born she would only settle at all if she was swaddled, I used swaddling blankets from toys r us and they are really easy to use.

I like the moses basket because I can move it from the bedroom and take it down stairs for during the day

RedLollyYellowLolly Wed 12-Aug-09 09:58:01

DD slept in a moses basket next to my bed until about 4 1/2 months then into the cot in her room. MB was getting a bit small by that point.

She used to sleep in the carrycot part of the pram downstairs.

ilovesprouts Wed 12-Aug-09 09:58:21

mb in the living room in the day ,mb in the cot at night ,but did not use it for long so went in cot at 12 weeks he loved it

alexw Wed 12-Aug-09 09:58:48

My dd slept in her own cot (and in her own room) from day one. She also slept brilliantly! May be coincidence though. Day time sleeps were in the carry cot part of her pram so daytime naps and night time sleep were different. Seemed to work for us. She slept from beginning 7pm - 3am, quick feed and slept again til 7am.After 6 weeks I picked her up and dream fed her at 11pm and she slept through til 7am. All babies are different though... My dd would still sleep a lot though and she's starting school in a couple of weeks.

NellyNoKnicks Wed 12-Aug-09 09:59:11

Used a moses basket for the first 5 weeks, then ds got too big for it, kept banging his hands off the sides and waking himself up.

Now we use a travel cot with a mattress in in our room until he's old enough to go in his own room.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 12-Aug-09 09:59:19

Hi, not sure if this is helpful but we didn't use either. Had an Amby Hammock for the first year and was fabulous. Can be used from birth, can be folded down and travelled with but most importantly, encourages them to sleep, bliss! If you haven't bought a cot yet, buy one, they are wonderful (and have a great re-sale value on ebay)!

notsoteenagemum Wed 12-Aug-09 10:15:02

Dd slept in the moses basket downstairs and cot upstairs( had no bedroom furniture),
Ds slept in pram/carrycot downstairs and moses basket upstairs for 6.5 months because we had bedroom furniture so no room for the cot and only had 2 bedrooms.

bunnybunyip Wed 12-Aug-09 10:16:12

DS slept in MB for the first 3 months; very handy for carting him around the house in and also fitted inside his crib next to our bed which can be rocked. Good when travelling too.
However he did end up co-sleeping at night quite often as we all got more sleep; if there is a next time I would consider one of those cots that joins onto the bed so the baby can have their own space but be close for breastfeeding in the night.
I remember laughing at SIL who had so many beds for her DS; but then mine ended up with MB,crib, cot and travel cot too!
You should be fine with just a MB to start with; resist the temptation to buy everything before the baby arrives, you can still shop afterwards (even if online!) Then you can get an idea what would be suitable for your baby. I frantically bought a big cot, made sheets for it etc all whilst 6 months pregnant; of course over 6 months later he still hasn't used it.

shoesies Wed 12-Aug-09 10:24:44

Thanks everyone! We've actually been given both the MB and cot by kind friends who don't need them anymore so luckily haven't had to buy anything yet... I'm not keen on the idea of having him in my bed at night as I'd be terrified of squashing him but I suspect after a few sleepless nights I'll try anything grin

BertieBotts Wed 12-Aug-09 10:31:07

If you breastfeed you have some kind of awareness of the baby so you don't squash them grin DS slept in our bed from birth by my choice, we now have a sidecar cot and am thinking about moving him to a separate cot in our room.

BertieBotts Wed 12-Aug-09 10:33:44

Oh also - no problems at all with a secondhand cot (ours is about 4th hand!) but it is advised to buy a new mattress which is something to do with preventing SIDS. I have no idea about Moses baskets though.

shellmc Sat 15-Aug-09 22:06:06

hiya,

We had ds in a moses basket at the start he slept in it in living room in day and took it up to bed at nights, but once he was 5-6 weeks old he kept wakening himself up hitting his arms and legs off the sides, soo put the cot in our room and he was no bother at all he loves it !!!! xxx

kittywise Sat 15-Aug-09 22:13:22

Ist one in a moses basket next to me in bed.
The other 5 all co slept, much easier that way and much nicer for the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now