Talk

Advanced search

my 2.7yr old has to have glasses :(

(11 Posts)
tinatutor Tue 11-Aug-09 23:13:20

Obviously I know this isn't the worst thing in the world and am very glad it's been picked up and of course I want him to be able to see etc etc...BUT...I still feel a bit sad.

He's a very active boy, running, climbing, rolly pollys, wrestling...how's he gonna go all that wearing glasses?

How am I even going to get him to wear them? Optomotrist said it is REALLY important for him to wear them all the time.

I don't wear glasses and don't know any small children who wear them either.

Tinker Tue 11-Aug-09 23:17:04

He will still be able to do all of that with glasses. Honestly. Glasses are so much more common than when I was a child (well, it seems that way to me). My eldest had to start wearing them when at nursery and I too felt a little sad. I can relate to that. You feel as though you can never see their face again without there being something in the way. But you, and he, will get used to it. Is he long or short-sighted?

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 11-Aug-09 23:18:02

Hi tina - have you got to go to an optician's to get them, or is the ophthalmology dept supplying some?

Some opticians will order in special small frames, or bendy frames, but under 16's get their specs free on the NHS and get replacements and repairs free too. If it's that important that he wears them, get the ophthalmologist to write out a voucher for 2 pairs. You can also get sports bands that hold specs on behind the head so they stay on!

Kids are a pain to fit with specs as they have very flat bridges, but if you get a good dispensing optician it shouldn't be a problem.

He will be fine - once he's used to them it won't be a problem. I have to stop my 2 and a half year old nicking my specs, he loves wearing them (which is lucky as he will undoubtedly have to have them later on in life!)

Woooozle100 Tue 11-Aug-09 23:23:13

my dd's worn them since 10 mths

agree with tinker that you are seeing more and more little uns wearing them now

course you feel a bit sad though. I did also. Thought they'd 'spoil' her face and take away baby cuteness. They didn't. Just became part of her gorgeousness grin

re getting yr ds to wear them - just keep telling him how great he looks. Liken him to all the cool glasses wearing people he likes. Being really positive and giving lots of praise will help lots

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 11-Aug-09 23:24:12

I think little kids in specs look soooooo cute!

Any DO worth their salt will big up the specs, he will be excited to wear them, honest.

smile

Woooozle100 Tue 11-Aug-09 23:27:52

oh they wouldn't give them band thingies out round here - health and safety. Pffff

They have curly bits round the ears. That helps keep em on

re the bridge bit - dd's first pair wear hilarious. Was like they had a bit of clear lego between the lenses. She's grown more nose now so not so much bridge blocking needed

purpleflower Tue 11-Aug-09 23:39:14

My DS is 2.10 and has recently started wearing glasses.

I felt exactly the same as you but it honestly has been fine. He has to wear them all the time but I take them off if he is playing in a busy park or soft play etc. He has actually taken to them really well, I thought he would be a nightmare to keep them on but he's not as bad as I thought. I do have to watch him though as when he is watching TV he occasionally starts looking over them rather than through them.

I definitely agree with asking for a second pair, DS broke his within 4 days and then I had to wait a week for another pair. I have 2 now so if he breaks them he won't go without.

The day he got them I let him chose some stickers for the case to help him get excited about them and also went through all the people who he likes who have glasses.

Try not to worry about it, I did and it's honestly been fine. It's only been a month and I find he looks strange without them now

darydork Thu 13-Aug-09 23:13:28

My ds had to start wearing glasses at 3yrs and i can totally relate to your sadness as i felt exactly the same at the time, i too worried as he is extremly actice with soccer, hurling, bike riding etc, if im honest it was a struggle for the 1st yr to get him to keep them on but this was probably down to the fact that he had to wear a patch aswell which he absolutely detested (and so did i!) anyway he is now 7 and i cant imagine him without his glasses, there are some really nice ones on the market for kids, plus if he has had them off for a period while hurling or soccer training he will actually go and put them back on himself now which i never imagined would happen!!!
His sight is improving with every visit to the hospital and we have been told that his sight should be fine again he reaches his teens smile as long as he continues to wear them all the time, the opticians accept there are times when certain activities prevent them from wearing them..

You will both adjust to the change, and him wearing them will soon just be part of ur lives.. Good luck wink

LollipopViolet Fri 14-Aug-09 11:26:38

He'll be fine. I've worn them since 18 months or so and had no problems (well, apart from the sight being so bad I can't drive but it was always like that!). What about asking the optician for some glasses with just plastic in the lenses that you can wear? Lead by example sort of thing?

TotalChaos Fri 14-Aug-09 11:30:08

my friend's 2 year old DD had to have glasses, she's very active, it doesn't cramp her style at all. the first few months it did take a lot of persuasion for her to wear the glasses, but after that it's been fine.

LollipopViolet Fri 14-Aug-09 11:38:15

I've still got some of my first pairs of glasses. They're so tiny and cute!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now