Talk

Advanced search

Weaning - Is it possible at all?

(11 Posts)
Peju Thu 26-May-05 01:03:39

Help, I'm stuck and I feel that there is no way forward for my son and I with regards to getting him on solids. We have made two attempts and on each occasion he vomited and lost lots of fluid. The last episode ended up in the A&E and we had to administer Dryolite.
I am quite scared of trying any food. Bought the Annabel Karmel book "Baby and Toddler Meal Planner", but still can't find the courage to cook something simple for my son.
My theory so far is that he definitely hates processed food and I think allergic to baby rice. Has anybody got any advice for me. It will be greatly appreciated.

KateandtheGirls Thu 26-May-05 01:04:38

I'm not surprised you're scared. How old is he?

Peju Thu 26-May-05 01:06:40

Hi, He is 24 weeks

KateandtheGirls Thu 26-May-05 01:12:04

He's not even 6 months yet? I'd wait a while if I were you. Why are you so anxious to get him on solid food? It's not even recommended until at least 6 months. (Here in the US anyway.)

Peju Thu 26-May-05 01:16:49

Here in the UK, we are advised /encouraged to try between 4 and 6 months. I guess the pressure has been mounting with health visitors asking how we are doing

assumedname Thu 26-May-05 01:57:04

Didn't wean mine before 6 months plus. I didn't think it was recommended to wean before then because of causing possible gluten intolerance. Is this still the thinking?

(My youngest is now just 6 so info could be well out of date.)

hana Thu 26-May-05 02:04:15

3 years ago advice was between 4 -6 months
now it's 6 months

I'm also in the uk

bobbybob Thu 26-May-05 02:12:24

Wait, wait, wait.

Tell anybody who asks that his gut is not mature yet and you are waiting. I think your early experiments have shown that to be the case.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 26-May-05 08:07:59

Poor you, Peju, that sounds quite stressful. I'd certainly leave it be until 6 months, if not a bit later. How is your son, generally? Is he on breastmilk or formula?

For at least six months, the official advice in the UK has been to leave it until six months. In Canada and the US it has been six months for longer.

And when you do start, you don't need to cook anything special, you can just offer bits of family food. My DS2 hates purees, and loves finger food. We didn't start until nearly 6 months, and then it took nearly a month before he really understood eating and it started working.

Please don't stress.

Peju Thu 26-May-05 15:17:26

Thank you all for you replies. My baby is 24 weeks and very good with breast milk and formula. I have decided to wait a couple more weeks before trying any food. I guess when he is ready he will let me know one way or the other.

hunkermunker Thu 26-May-05 15:31:07

Peju absolutely no need to worry about giving him solid food for at least the next couple of weeks and probably longer. It sounds like he's not ready at all - he will thrive on milk (it's meant to be his main source of nutrients for the first year anyway).

Some babies hardly eat any food for the first year. Please don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now