Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had DC3 over the age of 40?

(17 Posts)
Gateau Mon 10-Aug-09 11:55:32

I had DS when I was 37, am expecting DC2 in two months' time, just before I turn 40, and am just wondering (prematurely, I know, because my mind could change so radically after D2 arrives!!), is over the age of 40 too old to think about having a third DC? I had one mc before DS and two after him so conceiving may take a while anyway.

Gateau Mon 10-Aug-09 11:56:21

Correction: conceiving hasn't been a problem thus far. It's holding onto the baby that has been a problem three times..

juuule Mon 10-Aug-09 11:57:19

I had dc8 at 40y and dc9 at nearly 44y.

Gateau Mon 10-Aug-09 12:00:47

wow, juule. Do you plan to have a DC10?

spinspinsugar Mon 10-Aug-09 12:01:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joolsiam Mon 10-Aug-09 12:03:26

I also have a problem holding on to babies rather than conceiving - am approaching 40 this year and trying for DC1 !

spinspinsugar Mon 10-Aug-09 12:04:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

juuule Mon 10-Aug-09 12:05:31

No.

Thought about it, had 2 m/c after the last one. I'm 49 now so it's too late but I'm fine about that.

Gateau Mon 10-Aug-09 12:17:59

Sorry to hear that joolsiam. Is there a medical reason for you losing your babies or have you just been told you've been having a lot of bad luck? That's what I was told and I kept trying, and here I am, now 29 weeks pregnant.

Joolsiam Mon 10-Aug-09 12:40:16

I've had all the mc tests and they have come back clear, so just bad luck (and ageing eggs) I guess.

Just got to crack open a few more to find one that is still in date grin

I really really feel as if time is running out though, and the stress of am I / aren't I and analysing every little twinge every month is taking its toll, so I'm trying to be less obsessed and avoid the TTC boards for a while.

Gateau Mon 10-Aug-09 12:48:55

It's bloody hard, joolsiam, but you've got to just keep your head up and keep trying.
A nurse/midwife once told me that maybe the reason for my mcs was that my body was used to rejecting eggs every month and just had to get into the mindset of holding onto one. Not sure if there's any truth in that but it seemed quite a reasonable thing to say.
I wish you all the luck in the world.

Joolsiam Mon 10-Aug-09 12:52:39

Thankyou

Good to hear your story too - and I hope the next 11 weeks fly by

MoominMymbleandMy Mon 10-Aug-09 12:53:01

I had DC2 at 41. I had no problems conceiving, there was nothing unusual about the pregnancy, and he was a healthy, normal baby.

That sounds a bit smug. It isn't intended to be because I know I'm very lucky. And I hope it might encourage other people who think they're over the hill not to give up.

fijibird Mon 10-Aug-09 13:21:08

I find that encouraging so thank you for the post! I may sound crazy as have DS1 almost 4 and havent started trying for DC2 but will this month. Am very nervous as it seems so late as I am 41 and feels a bit reckless! It is what I want more than anything just worried about the age gap & my energy levels keeping up with the challenge of 2 if I am ever lucky enough to realise my dream! Fingers crossed!

janx Mon 10-Aug-09 20:15:42

I had dd when I had just turned 39 and ds when I was 42. My friend has just had dc3 aged 45 - go for it

oldraver Mon 10-Aug-09 20:49:25

Gateau I had my firstborn at 19, DS1 at 21 and another 4 mc/s last one at 24. I gave up for a few years and had discovered I had PCOS anyway so put it all to one side. Few years down the line I had another m/c at 36, and possibly another one. This make me re-evaluate what I wanted and did decide to try for another DC. I had DS2 at nearly 41 after trying for 5 months.

I'm still amazed I had him as with my history I just thought I may be clutching at straws. I did have quite a few problems though the fact I had him easily ie without going down the road of several losses astounds me

IdrisTheDragon Mon 10-Aug-09 20:50:16

DH's mum had DC3 when she was very nearly 44.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now