Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Best action to take about a child I am worried about

(8 Posts)
Stefka Sat 08-Aug-09 21:14:23

It's my brother's wee boy who is one and a half. His mother is very young and her DS is cared for in that he is clean and fed but my mum and dad are worried that he is otherwise neglected. He is pretty much left on his own unless he is being disruptive so of course he is becoming more and more disruptive by the day as it is the only way he can get attention. My brother told me that his wife has little patience with him and shouts at him and smacks him.

My brother works and is also pretty young. He is also an ex drug addict and although he is clean from heroin still smokes dope on a regular basis and I think also lacks parenting skills.

I think they both love their DS very much but we are worried about his welfare. My mother is worried that he will run out of a window or out onto the street because his mother ignores him so often. I feel worried that he isn't getting much positive attention - when I see him he is like a zombie, he doesn't talk at all and it takes me a long time with him before he will start to communicate at all.

I wondered if my mother could mention it to her Dr to see if the health visitor could give his mum some support. We don't know what else to do, I don't live locally and my mother works full time.

ScummyMummy Sat 08-Aug-09 21:19:19

Could your mum or dad or you phone the NSPCC for some advice?

fattybumbum Sat 08-Aug-09 21:19:47

You definitely need to tell someone.

Stefka Sat 08-Aug-09 21:22:14

I think everyone is not sure what to do it all seems so sensitive. I will mention NSPCC to my mum and if she doesn't want to call then I can. I think she doesn't want to cause upset as she doesn't want to not be able to see him. She takes him as often as she can right now.

hester Sat 08-Aug-09 21:39:49

Stefka, perhaps it would be a great help to your mum if YOU rang them? I know it will be difficult but it sounds like this family really needs help.

UniS Sat 08-Aug-09 22:16:59

do they live in a sure start area? HV may be able to refer them to a sure start project or a home start project for a bit of parenting suport.
bit of suport at this age can work wonders on a childs language & social skill development and parents understanding & parenting skills.

Stefka Sat 08-Aug-09 22:20:17

Not sure I will look into that. I don't think they think they need the support if you know what I mean. My mum took her along to mum and baby groups etc but she never went again. Her son never mixes with other kids unless I am up with my DS.

I will call NSPCC and see what they suggest too.

BitOfFun Sat 08-Aug-09 22:21:53

I think UniS' suggestion is a good one, tbh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: