Talk

Advanced search

Missed a cracked molar ... feeling terrible

(6 Posts)
LovingBeingAMummy Sat 08-Aug-09 21:13:12

My 7 year old last night during dinner stopped eating and announced that his molar was wobbly. At the last checkup in June the dentist told us his molars were loose due to overcrowding and may well fall out before the next checkup. So I asked to see inside his mouth and he wouldn't let me because there was some blood.
I rang the dentist who said it was normal to bleed and just wait for it to fall out.

This morning he still didn't want me to check and was getting anxious so I left it alone.

Tonight at bedtime he finally allows me check and low and behold the molar is cracked down the middle, the gum on top of it is going black.

I have called NHS direct and waiting a call back but he has gone to bed.

I feel awful and am really worried about theconsequences ... having tohave it taken out, risk of infection, damage to bottom tooth and wish that I had insisted to be allowed to see it last night.

Sorry to bother you all with this but had to release, DP just shrugged his shoulders and said leave it to dentist to sort out on Monday. Leaving me to screech at him that I could have dealt with this TODAY.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 08-Aug-09 21:14:24

These things happen. Don't beat yourself up. It will be fine.

foxinsocks Sat 08-Aug-09 21:14:55

I'm impressed you even look in his mouth.

don't know what else to say. Is he in pain?

TheCrackFox Sat 08-Aug-09 21:16:38

These things happen. If he is in pain glug some calpol down his neck.

If he isn't in pain it should be fine until Monday.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 08-Aug-09 21:18:26

Oooh. I have a cracked molar too! They will put him on antibiotics and may wait until the swelling goes down.

But cracked molars are impossible to predict, so don't be too hard on yourself, and if it's any comfort 3 dentists missed mine shock shock

LovingBeingAMummy Sat 08-Aug-09 21:38:14

Thanks everyone ...

no he isn't in any pain and the bleeding stopped straightaway so ddin't persist with wanting to look in his mouth. He hates fussso didn't want to makea big deal. Obviosuly last night it wasn't but now ...he has blackgum on top of the molar. DP thinks this is bruising and questioned what I fed him for tea.

It was Friday so oven chips,fish cakes and baby sweetcorn and peas.

Just got off phone with dentalnurse and she said toleave it until Monday until his gum/face swells.

She thinks thegum is balck because of the trauma. Dentist mayonly pull out half of it anyway. Nurse was lovely andreally reassured me (as did all of you!).
Will update Monday after dentist sees him.
Off to relax in warm bath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now