Talk

Advanced search

10 yr old coming out with inappropriate sexual content

(4 Posts)
deaddei Fri 07-Aug-09 09:16:10

ds (10) going into yr 6 has recently started coming out with some very startling phrases with sexual content- I don't think he has any idea what it means, and he tells me the boys at school have started talking like that at breaktimes.
I'm sure it's just a phase, and a way of trying to shock- however, what's the best way of dealing with it? I told him yesterday that when he does sex ed next term, he will appear very immature and silly.

trefusis Fri 07-Aug-09 09:20:09

Message withdrawn

chablis Fri 07-Aug-09 09:37:32

DS9 (10 in Dec) has started this a bit - I think this is the age when they start sharing information, piecing it together and getting some bits wrong!

One of his friends was going around asking everyone if they were a virgin (and I mean EVERYONE!)

I was very matter of fact with DS and asked if he knew what it meant, and he didn't really. Once I explained he realised how embarrassing the other kids was being.

I try to answer Qs as they come up. Recently we;ve had lots of questions about lesbians and homosexuality in general.

Have you had a general chat with him about all the sex ed stuff in advance?

pseudoname Fri 07-Aug-09 09:46:35

I would think that if a child this age is using sexually inappropriate language without knowing what it means then it is time to start to talk about sex with the child.

Since you've asked if he knows what it means and he doesn't, try to find a way to explain in simple terms what it means. i'd say if you can talk in about 1 - 2 mins about it at a time. That is quite enough time to give a back ground explanation that would be needed to put the meaning of the phrase into context.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now