Talk

Advanced search

Is this teething? 5 month old DS driving me crackers!!

(6 Posts)
babyignoramus Thu 06-Aug-09 08:11:51

My 5 month old has suddenly decided to whinge constantly. Nothing seems to make him happy except my 100% attention focused directly on him which isn't always possible!

Nothing seems to placate him - I think he is getting frustrated because he's trying to crawl and hasn't managed it yet.

When I put him down for a nap he fights sleep and will whinge and moan, building up to screaming until I manage to get him to drop off. If I don't put him down he gets so overtired he's even worse!

It's occured to me that he might be teething although ATM he has no other signs (he did a couple ofweeks ago but they've stopped).

Any suggestions? Is this a common phase???

BettyFriedan Thu 06-Aug-09 10:31:42

have to say dd doing exactly the same - dont know why...wd be grateful for any reason!

staryeyed Thu 06-Aug-09 10:39:15

My Ds is the same he is 4.5 months. He was really easy before but he is an absolute nightmare; not sleeping or feeding well either just whining all day long.He is dribbling like mad so I think it is teething.

mumtoem Thu 06-Aug-09 14:16:55

It could be a combination of teething, plus frustration at not being able to crawl. You could try teething powders (like Ashtons and Parsons). I don't think they helped my DD much but many people seem to think they are great.
My DD is hopeless with naps so I can't help there. I think they can fight sleep when they are about to master a new skill. Hope it gets better for you soon.

LisaJasper Thu 06-Aug-09 14:25:01

I agree, it is probably frustration as at this age they want to do so much more than is physically possible!! He probably is teething too, try rubbing a bit of teething gel on his gums when he gets fractious before going to sleep, this usually works for my 5 month old. He may also be getting hungrier and starting to get ready for solids too - it's not long until you can start weaning him and that may help!

babyignoramus Fri 07-Aug-09 08:50:08

Thanks all - LisaJasper, he is already weaning! I started quite early (18 weeks) - he is a v. hungry baby but seemed to be getting frustrated with just milk (he hates waking up in the night and has always done so I didn't want to have to go back to that until 6 months). I offered him some water this morning when he was fighting his nap and he guzzled 4oz and went off immediately. So now I feel a bit guilty because in this hot weather he might have been thirsty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now