Talk

Advanced search

What kind of things do you do when you have a toddler and newborn?

(19 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Tue 04-Aug-09 13:48:13

....as in trips out, activities, things to do at home etc?

It's early days but I have a 21 month DS and a 2 week old DS. We did our first outing on Sunday with the 2 boys and it was doable with both me and DH there, but I think it would be a challenge if I was on my own though! DS1 goes to nursery 2 mornings a week so that gives me time alone with DS2 but I'm also not sure if he'll stay in nursery for my whole mat leave due to financial reasons. I can't imagine being able to do much though if he wasn't in nursery as we don't have much help from family / friends. The inlaws have DS1, say one morning a week but that is flexible.

I've been at home with the boys since DS2 was born but I'm itching to get out and do things for DS1 & my sakes! Weather is crap too so that's stopped us playing in the garden etc. I don't think I can take DS2 to any baby things either cos DS1 can't go to them, argh!

So wondering what you all do with 2 little 'uns? Can I have some ideas please!?

Gateau Tue 04-Aug-09 15:32:30

I'm bumping for you because I'm wanting to know too! Not quite there yet but will be later this year.

StealthPolarBear Tue 04-Aug-09 15:38:19

me too
(as long as the answer isn't "MN")

GwarchodwrPlant Tue 04-Aug-09 15:38:50

Well as a Child minder I always have a wide scope of ages. With a NB it would be pretty easy because they stay where you put them!

If they will lay in a basket then brill, if not I would invest in a sling so it leaves your hands free to play with the toddler.

Get lots of toys out, books, colouring books and crayons, playdough, make a den, make gloop, go for plenty of walks, take to park with wellies so you can splash around, baby group, DVD's, Cbeebies, play with water in the bath/kitchen sink, bubbles, sand pit.

I appreciate it is exhausting when looking after a newborn but it is do-able. As newborn gets older it can get more dificult but then toddler will be older then too and more able to entertain themselves!

Good luck!

craftynclothy Tue 04-Aug-09 15:41:34

In the same boat here (baby no. 2 due any day now!).

I know there's at least two groups locally that will allow both dd (2y 4m) and baby to - one I'd found out about online, the other my HV knew about - might be worth asking yours. I also know some activity groups for toddlers allow you to take baby along free (Baby Ballet does for one).

Apart from that I'm thinking of places to go like farms etc and will stick baby in the sling.

meep Tue 04-Aug-09 15:43:43

I've got dd1 (2yo) and dd2 (now 4mo)

Put baby in sling and toddler in buggy and go to the park. Newborns should sleep, older babies will be happy to just look about. Dd2 loves this now. It's still do-able in light rain!

Other than that - same combination but to soft play or a big garden centre with a cafe and pets (we can spend a good half hour looking at the fishes!)

mamakim Tue 04-Aug-09 15:55:13

I'm not going to be that much help because we haven't done anything wildly exciting since dd was born.

Ds is 24 months and dd is 3 months, we basically just do everything we did before but with dd tagging along in sling or pram.

Trips to the park every day helps. Or 'shop' (a health food shop) where ds loves paying with 'pennies' for a cereal bar, or same sometimes for bob builder magazine etc. I've just bought ds some good waterproof stuff and some wellies for me so we can go rain or shine! Baking cakes a big fave at the moment, that and he's obsessed with doing the washing/loading the dishwasher. We go to a toddler group and dd just sits in a bouncy chair and the other mums keep an eye on her if i have to run after ds.

I'm lucky ds goes to nursery every morning till 12. this means i can play with him, read etc in the aft when dd usually has a long sleep.

I do wonder though if my ds is odd, he won't watch cbeebies unless i'm in the room with him, if i'm trying to make dinner etc he just follows me around. It kind of defeats it's purpose for me!

jumpyjan Tue 04-Aug-09 15:55:38

I have a 2.5 yr old DD and a 3 month old DS. I dont feel confident enough to do any major excursions like going to a theme park, going to the beach etc so save that stuff for weekends when DH is around.

I tend to try a get out for one half of the day so we either go to a playgroup, messy play etc in the morning and then have the afternoon at home. I don't like going to groups all the time so on other days like yesterday we went to the library and then the park or we will just go for a walk or have friends over to play/visit friends.

If staying at home we do painting (if DS is sleeping), play dough, read books, or watch a bit of ceebeebies. The ceebeebies website is good too - lots of games and things you can print out and colour in. I think children do just like 'being' at home aswell - playing with their toys and messing about. I don't think you need to do 'activities' all the time - but thats just my opinion. I also think dont underestimate how much the LO's enjoy the park/playground.

The weather has been rubbish so it does make it harder.

Tbh DS just tags along with us and sleeps in a corner! I try to avoid any activity that I cannot quickly pack up if DS wakes - had a very stressful muffin making session when DS unexpectedly awoke!

KERALA1 Tue 04-Aug-09 15:56:02

Toddler groups - often in roomy church halls where its fine to bring in the buggy if the new born is asleep in it. Park with new baby in a sling.

Go to said toddler groups and ensure you make friends with mums who live nearby who have newborns and toddlers of the same age. Then you can hang out at each others houses - by far the easiest and best option.

Do not attempt swimming. Was thrown out of local swimming pool as dd2 not allowed to sit asleep in car seat anywhere near pool while I swam with dd1. This is the one activity I really think you can't do with two on your own.

mamakim Tue 04-Aug-09 15:58:49

meep - my ds is obsessed with looking at fish too, the pet shop on our road has a big fish area downstairs and ds just loves going in and looking at them. And the hamsters! Luckily the owner doesn't mind!

Today on the way to the park we discovered a big digger that has appeared to clear some land, you would have thought it was christmas, he wouldn't leave it!

naughtymummy Tue 04-Aug-09 16:04:12

I remember this well, it is tricky, but doable for sure. We spent many hours in the libary (had a group where they read to DC1, colouring etc). One a clock clubs are usually better than the park as often have bouncy chairs etc to park No2 in, are enclosed and full of Mums who you can say watch DC1 for a sec or hold the baby for me IYSWIM. I would avoid soft play TBH as at 21m DC1 needs to closely monitored IMO and that is v. difficult with a baby in the sling. Sling+ pushchair is useful as DC1 can walk on the way with baby in pushchair, then when tired DC1 goes in pushchair and baby in sling. Have to go now will try and think of some more ideas for you.

oooggs Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:48

when ds3 was born I had twins at 21 mths and our daily routine did not change - went to the same clubs (and still do) with ds3 in sling/pram/carseat (whichever is suitable) the school run was much much harder (ds1 is 5) but now ds3 is 6mths and dts are walking much better and further it is getting easier again to get out without the car!!)

I don't know off any group which objects to younger siblings unless it is maybe a toddler dancey things where you couldn't look after both of them - never managed anything like that with twins anyway shock

MrsBadger Thu 06-Aug-09 21:40:56

(NB if you normally get childcare vouchers from work, you are still entitled to them during matleave, however much they are paying you. More info on this thread)

GothAnneGeddes Fri 07-Aug-09 11:26:42

This thread is making me very broody indeed. grin

BiscuitStuffer Fri 07-Aug-09 12:43:54

Oh you just carry on doing exactly what you've always done with the older one and 'drag' the baby along too. Either in the buggy or a sling. You might have to stop to feed / change a nappy but in the meantime, focus on the older one as he is the one that will notice if you ignore him grin

MrsMcJnr Sat 08-Aug-09 23:44:45

I have a DS of 18 months and a DD of 2 months. I find it quite hard to get out in the morning but once I am out it's fine. The park is a challenge though as DS wants to climb but needs constant assistance and it's too hot to put DD in a sling (I'm in Spain). We left Scotland when DS was 4 months and I really miss all the baby and toddler groups sad there really is very little like that here.

Concordia Sun 09-Aug-09 00:02:40

i did find it hard (DS was 2.3 when DD was born), as i had been working so we didn't have a routine of toddler groups etc. DS had stopped going to childmdiner for financial reasons mainly and also he didn't like going too. so suddenly i was at home with them both and it was winter. DS decided he didn't want to try anything new. i tried to make it out each day at least once. i used to go to the library, soft play, one toddler group a week. even just the supermarket was our activity one day per week. in general the needs of a newborn and a toddler are quite incompatible but it gets easier as the baby gets bigger and now DD is 10 months i feel i can take them places they will both get loads out of.
oh the children's farm is a good one if you have one near you. we have a season ticket adn try to go every week. it has a good outdoor play area which is great for us as our garden is a postage stamp.
my tip would be don't try to do too much and exhaust yourself. just take it easy and if the toddler watches more cbeebies than you would like for a month or two, it's not the end of the world.

Concordia Sun 09-Aug-09 00:04:31

oh and we did everything in the afternoon because i seemed to spend the whole morning just feeding and dressing small people (and i only had two, how crap is that!) but now i am getting a bit better and we sometimes make it out for 10am!

tryingtoleave Sun 09-Aug-09 00:45:01

Ds was 2.5 when dd was born and I just kept doing everything I usually did with him, just with dd in a sling - playgroup, music group, shopping, park, museum. It was a bit harder, especially as ds went through a running away stage when he realised that it was harder for me to chase him, but it was definitely doable. I even took them swimming - but that was just because our local pool had a small, contained baby pool where I could confidently watch ds from the side. I did always have an exit strategy planned. I think things are going to get harder now that dd is getting more independent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now