Talk

Advanced search

Sleepless nights

(11 Posts)
Giltz Mon 03-Aug-09 12:54:38

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone else has a 5 month old who does not sleep through the night? my dd still wakes every 4 hours for a feed.Please tell me I am not alone.

missorinoco Mon 03-Aug-09 12:59:14

DS didn't at this stage. I'm trying to remember when he started sleeping through. I think it was about 6 months, but he then started teething and sabotaged it.

Sleeps like the proverbial baby now, there is hope!

Giltz Mon 03-Aug-09 13:30:25

There is hope yet. Just feels like every mum that I speak to their baby sleeps 9pm until 7am. Was starting to think that she was the only one.

hairymelons Mon 03-Aug-09 13:38:37

My son is 13mo and usually wakes at least once in the night for a feed. Don't know if that makes you feel better or not!
Waking for a feed every 4 hours at 5 months isn't unusual. I know what you mean about everyone else's babies seeming to sleep like angels though, it's very annoying!
They're all different- some will sleep through at a few weeks old, some will be much, much older. Don't worry about it but if you're struggling to cope with the night waking, the No Cry Sleep Solution is pretty good. Just read it and wish I'd got it sooner......

You are not alone!! My DS3 (9months) wakes in the night for a least 1 feed and gets up early nearly every day. My HV thinks I should stop him feeding at night but it's working, he goes back to sleep with no fuss at all. I can't face going cold turkey yet!!

Giltz Mon 03-Aug-09 14:59:41

Thanks guys, will have a look at that No cry sleep solution. My HV also suggested cutting out night feeds using water instead, however this technique just takes longer to settle her. The other night it took me two hours to get her back to sleep, where as normally with the milk she would have eaten, burped and settled in half an hour. Did any one have problems with weaning? my HV says night feeds can interupt this process. I am just about to start weaning.

My DS3 is weaned and eats a good amount of solid food and has a night feed. Of course they are all different, however the feed hasn't affected my DSs weaning.

MooMooMama Mon 03-Aug-09 16:48:12

Giltz - Unfortunately, there can be a million different reasons why your dd isn't sleeping. Weaning, teething, learning to stand, learning to walk, light sleepers...aagh, the list is endless!

My ds is 19 months now and I think we can count the number of uninterrupted nights on the fingers of one hand sad. I've gone from one thing to another, trying to pinpoint the reason he's such a bad sleeper, but am now reaching the conclusion that this is just him.

I hope that you figure out why your dd isn't sleeping well, but if you don't, try not to get too worried about it (easier said than done, I know, when you're sleep deprived!) Some babies are great at sleeping, others not so much...If you're struggling for a good night's sleep, though, I'd just put her in bed with you for the night.

BettyFriedan Mon 03-Aug-09 17:23:36

hello glitz can second this - in fact posted on this topic yesterday! what i am worried about is 5 month DD has got much more difficult to settle suddenly both for day time naps and in the night time - always cried a little but now ramped up to full on screaming...am i doing something wrong? why is this?

Giltz Tue 04-Aug-09 14:49:39

That does not sound fun BettyFriedan, You are probably doing nothing wrong, may just be a phase. My DD seems to be quite whiney and fighting to stay awake but nothing to the extent of your DD i am afraid. I guess they are just trying to look and explore the world around them

hairymelons Wed 05-Aug-09 22:15:58

Re. night feeding interfering with weaning? I definately didn't find that to be the case. Try LLL helpline 0845 120 2918, they're really nice and will give you good weaning info plus a bit of reassurance that your baby is behaving perfectly normally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now