Talk

Advanced search

boys - discrimination?

(3 Posts)
babaaa Sun 02-Aug-09 18:11:46

When i had my ds 11 years ago there seemed to be an almost anti boys culture - in the news there as stuff re boys being behind girls educationally,but also a few mothers seemed amost to pity me because i hada boy and said things to each other like - im glad ive got a girl now i can relax etc...anyone elso similar?

MrsBeakman Sun 02-Aug-09 18:44:50

I think the stuff in the news about boys being behind educationally isn't really anti boys as such. They were realising that many common teaching methods suit girls better than boys and are now trying to find ways of redressing the balance eg more outdoor play in Reception etc. So it's a positive thing.

Not sure about people pitying mums with boys as i have girls only, but i think that unless you have one boy and one girl people will always find something to say!

Jaquelinehyde Sun 02-Aug-09 18:58:41

I don't think there has ever been any discrimination around having boys.

The media mearly reported about how new teaching trends and subject choices were meaning that girls were now academiclly ahead of boys in certain subjects.

Anyone who thinks they can relax because they have girls, and are relieved because of this should actually be very worried indeed because they sound a bit dumb. Any child is more likely to suffer because of that rather than because they're a boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now