Talk

Advanced search

Is ds very clingy because I'm pg?

(8 Posts)
HeadFairy Sat 01-Aug-09 14:33:29

ds is very confident normally, but he's become very clingy with me over the past couple of months. I know he loves his cm, he's been going since he was 8 months old (he's 22 months) he's always loved her, gives her big hugs, his cousins go to the same cm, he has lots of friends he talks about. And yet when I drop him off there these days it's very traumatic, he clings to me begging me not to leave (well, crying no no no)

I know all children go through a clingy phase, but is it usually caused by pregnancy? Has he subconciously picked up on it?

He's like that a lot at home too, he shadows me everywhere, is really clingy sometimes (I'm the only one who can get him up in the mornings, his first word every day is mummy) he's always asking for cuddles (which I pretty much always give him, would never begrudge him a cuddle)

I'm hoping he'll grow out of it, but I was wondering if lots of toddlers go through this when their mothers are pregnant.

minipinkscottish Sun 02-Aug-09 07:53:19

This is soooooooooo normal and common. I have 6 children and each time I was pg the next dc always displayed behaviour of clingyness and insecurity...it will pass...lots of love and reassurance...and when the time is right involvement in the new lo eg talking about the "bump", talking to the "bump" etc.....
enjoy...veryenvy xx

MarshaBrady Sun 02-Aug-09 08:00:52

Yes I think so, ds 4 wants to be very close to me and I am 21 weeks pregnant (so bump is obvious). It may be coincidence but he likes to mention he loves me and I do to him a lot more these days.

I am enjoying his reaction also as he says he loves the baby, so I think yes his change in behaviour is due to the pregnancy. I give him lots of reassurance and cuddles.

skidoodle Sun 02-Aug-09 08:06:17

My dd (16 mo) is like this at the moment too, can really relate to the 'shadowing' I can't get anything other than laundry done when she's awake (she can help with that).

I too was wondering if it were pregnancy related, although hard to know because she's still quite little and there's less non-pregnant time to compare to. But how could she know?

That's interesting minipink. It's really quite sweet, if a but trying when she roars because she loses sight if me in the shops say (the cruelty of being left with her dad!).

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 08:30:54

thanks mini... I thought that might be the case. I know all children go through a clingy phase, but I'd never thought it would be because he's picked up on something because I'm pg. I haven't actually told him yet, not quite sure how to. I've got a few more months for him to get used to the idea...

littleboyblue Sun 02-Aug-09 08:37:06

Yes. My hv told me when I was pregnant with number 2 that ds1 (who was just over a year at the time) would probably become more clingy during pregnancy as he would see me getting bigger and know something was happening, but not know what so he'd worry. Was quite sweet, but minute ds2 was born, ds1 turned straight back to his dad for most things which was also nice as freed me up a bit for the new one iyswim.

Re getting him used to the idea, I found a really good book, it's called There's A House Inside My Mummy. It is very sweet. Simple and rhythmic wording so is easy to read and enjoy. I read it to ds1 everyday from about 5/6 months pregnant. There is an 18 month age gap between mine. Pop in to your local Waterstones or somewhere, there are a few story books about babies for toddlers.

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 08:39:38

thanks for that littleboyblue.. I'll definitely look out for that book. DS has always been a bit of a mummies boy and I'd quite like him to spend more time with his dad. He's with him all weekend as I'm at work, so he's getting some quality time in now, hopefully that'll set him up for when the baby comes. Right now he won't do anything unless I'm there holding his hand.

skidoodle Sun 02-Aug-09 08:49:23

I just remembered a dream I had when I was 3 and my mum was pg with my brother - a bump grew on my tummy, then another one on top of that, then another one etc. It meant I was dying!

I guess I must have been worried and known something was going on but been confused. Weird since at that age I had been told about a new baby, but guess I didn't understand.

Will look for that book. It sounds lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now