Talk

Advanced search

Good first birthday presents for £10 or under

(15 Posts)
BertieBotts Sat 01-Aug-09 08:49:31

Can anyone recommend a good present for a one year old for £10 or less? I was looking at the hungry caterpillar cup & plate set but it just goes overbudget when postage is included. We are doing a "Secret Santa" type thing for 1st birthdays in our NCT group. Would also have liked to have got a play pushchair but the baby I am buying for is a boy and don't think it would go down too well with his parents.

Any ideas?

mumofmaniacs Sat 01-Aug-09 09:09:02

I would have appreciated books for my DC's or some form of learning game as our families always bought crap noisey plastic type things. All the dc's loved those toys where there are 4/5 little animals in a row that pop up when you turn or press little buttons.

Go on the elc website or similar and you can search for things under a tenner within the appropriate age bracket.

And for what it's worth, my son would have adored a play pushchair grin

BertieBotts Sat 01-Aug-09 09:10:40

I'm sure he would adore one, am planning to get one for my DS grin it's just with some comments his mum has made about his Dad not liking pink things etc... just don't feel it would go down well - their choice!

Books a good idea.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 01-Aug-09 09:13:44

Amazon do some lovely book gift sets like the Hungry Caterpillar, Paddington, Curl up in a Ball etc - free postage when over £5 as well.

stroppyknickers Sat 01-Aug-09 09:18:47

A classic book - Each peach Pear Plum; The Gruffalo; etc - try Waterstones for 3 for 2?

lowrib Sat 01-Aug-09 09:26:11

Books books books!

You can get the Very Hungry Caterpillar Board book on Amazon for £2.99 and some other stuff too.

Or if you go to the Very Hungry Caterpillar board book page and scroll down, they've got a special offer for three books:

- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Dear Zoo
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (Classic Board Books with Holes)

For £9.45 with free postage.

Sorted! grin

amidaiwish Sat 01-Aug-09 09:27:17

these books are nice and free delivery with code KF1ZZ140

or some things here

alypaly Sat 01-Aug-09 09:28:11

Baby will get lts of presents. How about a premium bond as its an investment and they cud win some money in the future. The post office have them

lowrib Sat 01-Aug-09 09:28:48

X post stroppyknickers!

Great minds think alike grin

alypaly Sat 01-Aug-09 09:28:48

lots not lts,must type more slowly and...accurately

RachieW Sat 01-Aug-09 09:28:58

Hiya, Tesco and Toysrus had this reduced to £7 last week. Have just seen on this website that they sell at £9 but in the big shops they were £14. I managed to get a Thomas one and a Percy.

I brought a few for NCT 1st b'days as it suddenly struck me that come October I'll have 7 babies to buy for grin

BertieBotts Sat 01-Aug-09 11:17:25

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions. grin Rachie, secret santa birthday definitely the way to go! There are 8 in our group as well.

amidaiwish Sat 01-Aug-09 11:43:51

for our NCT first birthdays we gave each other a bottle of wine... for surviving the first year. nothing for the babies!
Definitely the way to go! grin

mumblechum Sat 01-Aug-09 11:46:02

I like it Amadiwash!

PuppyMonkey Sat 01-Aug-09 11:55:48

An empty cardboard box, rattly wrapping paper, plastic spoons, paper plates, your car keys. That's all a one year old really wants. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now